Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

4.9 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:59 AM
Default 4.9 rebuild

Gunna attempt a 4.9 L rebuild, anything i should look out for while doing this, any thing special that shout be done as well?

Old 01-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Default RE: 4.9 rebuild

Found this post by this site's master tech SLOWROLL........hope it helps.......

The 4.1,4.5, and 4.9 Engines are very rebuildable. Cylinders or jug are easily removed and replaced, so over boring isn't necessary. Assembly is a little different because cylinder heads need to be installed, before the main bearing clearance can be checked. The block can distort slightly as head bolts tightened / torqued to spec. With the 4.9 there is one thing to keep in mind; 91-93 were built with short skirted piston which tended to be noisey on start up. They did come out with piston with a longer skirt to get rid of the noise, however power and economy sufferred. If you plan do your own rebuild, it is strongly suggested to get factory manual or atleast a reprint of the engine section of the manual for year of you're working on. [align=right]
[/align]

Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 4.9 rebuild - how to overhaul engine ?

ORIGINAL: slowroll

If you plan do your own rebuild, it is strongly suggested to get factory manual or atleast a reprint of the engine section of the manual for year of you're working on. [align=right]
[/align]
1. just wanted to highlight this small but important item in the quote .. follow the instructions 1 by 1 ...
2. buy, steal, borrow .. the RIGHT TOOLS ...

2b. Get a CASE of penetrating oil and a small torch .. to do disassy .. dont force, dont break bolts .. DO NOT !
spray lots, tap bolts and studs lots, apply hear lots .. BEST time saving procedures I can give you ...
IF you break just one, you are gone wish you had heeded this item .. which I know we all get tempted to do ...

3. clean, clean and then clean some more ...
4. check fits - DONT SKIP, lubricate everything well ...

5. seals .. the #1 complaint .. seals .. learn to install each one with proper sealing compounds IF req ...
5b. Apply anti-seize as required. Dont even think about skipping this one ...

6. Torque - torque with TORQUE wrench as required .. did I mention TORQUE WRENCH ?
7. If you mess up on something STOP .. find a proper fix before you continue ...

Other than that, doing an overhaul is really simple.
IT only gets hard with the wrong tools, cutting corners, and the "nahh, dont need to do that" ...

oh .. one last thing .. get a large can of di-electric grease and apply to every connector you run into ...

Old 01-30-2008, 02:47 AM

next question for yah guys, the 95 deville came with the 4T80-E right? it's been i while since i was under neith it it and i cant remember if it was stanped 4T80-E or 4T60-E (i have the 20 bolt trans oil pan if that helps)

Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Certified Members

4.9 has 4T60-E, Northstar has 4T80-E. No, you can't swap them.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:30 AM

didnt want to swap, just wanted to make sure so i could get a proper rebuild quote

Old 02-01-2008, 02:08 AM

a 4.9 froma 91 seville will fit my 95 deville if i use the devilles exhaust right?

Old 02-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Certified Members

Yes, you will want to transfer both exhaust manifolds. You may have to tranfer distributor and fuel injectors with harness.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:57 PM

whats the danger of the head bolts strippin out as i pull them from the motor on this thing? i heard that the northstar has a problem with that, do these as well?

Old 02-15-2008, 06:49 PM

bump?

Quick Reply: 4.9 rebuild