Isnt JOURNALISM a wonderful thing ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default Isnt JOURNALISM a wonderful thing ?

What happened:
A high school in Pasadena, Calif. is on lockdown after a student reported seeing another student with a weapon.

Why:
School officials at Blair High School say no gun has been found, and authorities are combing the school to see if the report can be confirmed.

What is being done:
Pasadena Unified School District spokeswoman Binti Harvey says authorities are checking the school room by room. Students were kept in the building after the report and moved into classrooms.

Added trills by a journalist:
There are no reports of injuries.

The journalist could have done even more ..

- There are no confirmed deaths.
- There is no evidence of terrorist activity.
- We are investigating the possibility of automatic weapons.

But, restrained herself !

Old 03-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Isnt JOURNALISM a wonderful thing ?

Earlier in the week south florida had rolling blackouts. All media went nuts, talking about terrorism nulear explosions etc etc. when in fact most people had their power back in 30 minutes. I never lost power out my house and I lost power at my business for less then one minute.

Can you believe the networks knocked off peoples court and judge Judy for this? It went on for hours even after everyone had their power back.

Where are Chet and David when you need them?

Old 03-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Certified Members

bad news days brings the evil out of their minds..... nothing more..... well, maybe keeping thier jobs..... they need to report something. just tell it like it is please...

Old 03-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)

Six months before the Real Estate/Economy crisis, the news media on a slow week reported the crisis was coming. Talk about a media snowball getting out of control!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:30 AM
Tech Certified Members

I still remember a famous anchorman, in arrogance, stating "We don't just report the news, we make the news!"

What used to be a nightly event, watching the news, is now gone from our home. WE decided that we want sensational entertainment, its best to slip a DVD movie into the system.

The problem is, like stated above, these folks are seriously affecting world events, in their zeal to gain ratings or to push their personal agendas. ME for one, make sure that I turn the station, the channel, every time the news comes on .. if enough of us do that, maybe their incomes will dry up .. but i wont hold my breath.

I'm beginning to understand what the European folks of WWI and WWII dealt with, when it came to influential propaganda.

"Twenty-first century "journalism" is all about influencing opinion. News programs don't strive to report the news since anybody can do that. Networks and cable outlets are compelled to say to us today "We don't just report the news, we make the news!" (quote taken from an actual broadcast advertisement). Stories are frequently told from a biased perspective, particularly so when it comes to the political beat. In their zeal to pursue an agenda of their own, facts have assumed secondary relevance to the story. Dan Rather fell victim to this modern-day style of story over substance." by Mudd