88 coupe budget build-need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 01:32 AM
Default 88 coupe budget build-need help

hi. i have a 1988 coupe deville. im looking to make it a luxery lowrider. i would like it to be streetable, as i drive it every day, yet of show quality. the problem im having is finding the parts.some of my ideas are 1941 caddy hood ornament, continental kit, rolls royce grille, fender skirts, boomerang antenna, wire wheels, dual exhaust, sunroof, engine dress up,and wood grain dash and steering wheel. i want it to ride low but live in an area with rough terrain so i am thinking about air bag suspension.im going to paint it black, black interior, blackout the windows, and add as much chrome as possible. i think that it will look great. tell me what you think of my ideas and if anyone has any info as to where i can find these parts at a reasonable price, please let me know. thanks for your input.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 88 coupe budget build-need help

ahhhh .. you need the Fox ...
Foxpaws is our resident TECH that makes cars look cool !

I will ring the bell for you ..

Old 11-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Tech Certified Members

Back when your car was new, continential kit and vertical grille could be found.20 yrs later it will be tough. Skirts unlikely, they weren't around back then. If you have the cash anything can be made

Old 11-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Certified Members

Good luck bagging your 'ville - I don't know of any kits - I think you will have to go custom on the bags...

As with most parts - If you want to look in junk yards - there probably are junked Vogue series Devilles you can get grills, body trim, etc from. Vogue used to really add a lot of chrome to the deville - but often it was gold plated - you can always have the pieces rechromed - or I like the black/gold look (you can also have the pieces re-gold plated - places that do plumbing fixtures are a good place to get things replated pretty cheaply)

E&G used to make grills - But, you need to see if they have any around.

Like slowroll said - kits used to be out there - so check junk yards - I bet you can get your bargains there...

Old 11-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 88coupeguy

hi. i have a 1988 coupe deville. im looking to make it a luxery lowrider. i would like it to be streetable, as i drive it every day, yet of show quality. the problem im having is finding the parts.some of my ideas are 1941 caddy hood ornament, continental kit, rolls royce grille, fender skirts, boomerang antenna, wire wheels, dual exhaust, sunroof, engine dress up,and wood grain dash and steering wheel. i want it to ride low but live in an area with rough terrain so i am thinking about air bag suspension.im going to paint it black, black interior, blackout the windows, and add as much chrome as possible. i think that it will look great. tell me what you think of my ideas and if anyone has any info as to where i can find these parts at a reasonable price, please let me know. thanks for your input.
Airbags you say?

hmmmm .. the '85 - '90 Lincoln MK VII uses the same trunk pulldown as many caddies, as several other components.
I wonder, I just wonder .. suspension air bags.

These MK VIIs have a Auto-Leveling suspension that is 2nd to none.
And MY MK VII had a 1988 build date.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:45 PM

thanks for the input
andcan you hook up a compressor and air tank to factory load leveling systems and throw in some switches?

Old 11-13-2007, 05:40 PM

i was looking at some of the other threads and noticed on with a catera. i also noticed that there was an option of a swap to give it more power. i dont race but every guy wants his car to be fast. is there any thing that i can do to get more power from my coupe? besides the obvious (spray) i dont think my engine would be able to handle it with 165K on the odometer. though if there was the option of boost for my motor, i would be more than happy to rebuild it(just not a big fan of bottled hp). also, i cant find any chrome dresses for my engine and to get parts chromed would cost a pretty penny.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Excuse me for saying it but your car is not going to be anywhere near original so I say look for a good supercharged 3.8 from a Bonneville or Buick Park Avenue Ultra. I think you could drop that in there nicely and have anywhere from 240 to 260 HP depending on year of the donor car.. Use the Bonneville exhaust too for that dual tail pipe with chrome extensions look.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:44 PM

its funny that you would mention the 3.8 v6 because i just got rid of an 0lds delta 88 that had the 3.8 in it. it wasnt super charged but it held its own. you would think that, being a v8, you wouldnt really be upgrading by swapping in a v6. about how much hp does my motor put out?

Old 11-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

From Wikipedia:

Although it was an improved version and enlarged version of the HT4100, it was never called HT4500 by Cadillac. Engineering allowed the company to begin to raise displacement and output again. A bored-out (to 92mm) 4.5L (273 in³) 4.5 version was introduced in 1988 with 155hp (116kW) and throttle body injeciton. Various versions were built between this introduction and the end of production for this engine in 1992, including a high-output LW2 with multiport fuel injection version for the Allante which produced 200hp (149kW) and 270ft·lbf (366N·m). Outside of the Allante, Cadillac introduced a port fuel injected 4.5L V-8 engine in 1990 with 180hp (134kW) across their car line up.
The 4.5L V-8 experienced considerably less reliability issues than the 4.1L engine, with the head and intake gasket issues largely resolved.

Quick Reply: 88 coupe budget build-need help