Go Back   Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners > General Technical Section > General Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8
Default Heater core on 1999 deville? How hard to replace

Fixed the alternator....now this
There is fulid all over the passenger side. It is anti freeze and I suspect the heater core is leaking. How hard is it to replace this item or is this one time the dealer needs to be funded.

Thanks
Gumby
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 4
Default heater core

The heater core is quite easy to replace. You can gain access by removing the glovebox and the lower hush panel below the glovebox. The heater core case splits in half with a couple of 7mm screws. The hardest part id removing the clamps on the hoses by the firewall.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBARCZY View Post
The heater core is quite easy to replace. You can gain access by removing the glovebox and the lower hush panel below the glovebox. The heater core case splits in half with a couple of 7mm screws. The hardest part id removing the clamps on the hoses by the firewall.
THANK YOU......I appreciate the info more than you know. My son is in college and as most of you know it is now a time where he can afford a lot. I guess next weekend I will spend time taking this on.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2014, 02:48 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Well, I don't live where I want to live but I'll be fine until I do!
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBARCZY View Post
The heater core is quite easy to replace. You can gain access by removing the glovebox and the lower hush panel below the glovebox. The heater core case splits in half with a couple of 7mm screws. The hardest part id removing the clamps on the hoses by the firewall.
Does this apply to a '98 DeVille as well? Ex-hubby just bought one used and he's sure the heater core blew. There was a 'FWUMP' sound, steam came through the defrost vent, obliviating visual and, doing an Ace Ventura, he managed to pull over and shut the car off...at which point water poured in from under the glove box. Seems the cover for the heater core had been replaced with duct tape (?!!) but apparently the dealer snatched the tape off (they missed some) and hid it just before husband looked under the hood. When he had the car towed to our son's house I found the wad of tape tucked behind the engine. I thought, "big square hole, no cover, bunch of fallen leaves...plugged up?" Then I read here about water pouring onto passenger floorboard, so...1998 DeVille, 32V Northstar V8...hopefully just as easy to switch out???
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2014, 08:23 PM
slowroll's Avatar
Tech Certified Members
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mid Atlantic
Posts: 2,505
Default

94-99 Deville, 92-02 Eldo, and 92-97 Seville all the same. hole was for blower power module on earlier models. there was a plate to cover hole. there was an insulator that cover evaporator case that covered hole, GM stopped installing plate. Blower module became part of blower on later models. Insulator falls apart as car ages. I believe plate is discontinued.
__________________
It will be OK
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Well, I don't live where I want to live but I'll be fine until I do!
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowroll View Post
94-99 Deville, 92-02 Eldo, and 92-97 Seville all the same. hole was for blower power module on earlier models. there was a plate to cover hole. there was an insulator that cover evaporator case that covered hole, GM stopped installing plate. Blower module became part of blower on later models. Insulator falls apart as car ages. I believe plate is discontinued.


Good to know about the covers; thanks...I'll tell him.


But (and sorry for being so thick!) do you get to the heater core the same way on the '98 as you do on the '99...I mean, through the glove box and hush panel? 'Cos we were looking at it yesterday and it looks like the whole dash cover might have to be removed (it's not in sections, at least not that we can see!). Of course, underneath the glove box and dash cover there's a black section that looks removable.


He was hoping he could do it himself but, even if he gets our 'back yard mechanic' to do it, it's a good thing to know.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Well, I don't live where I want to live but I'll be fine until I do!
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyK View Post

...'Cos we were looking at it yesterday and it looks like the whole dash cover might have to be removed (it's not in sections, at least not that we can see!). Of course, underneath the glove box and dash cover there's a black section that looks removable.

Wait...is the hush panel actually under the glove box after it's removed, like in that void where it sits? Lordy I'm thick if that's the case...but the ex and the son were thinking along the same lines as I, so I don't feel completely idiotic!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:35 AM
 
 
 
Reply



Tags
1999, 99, caddi, cadillac, core, cost, devill, deville, diagram, heater, hoses, price, remove, replace, replacement


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.

Internet Brands, Inc.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.