General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearing "pending codes" on DCM will remove error code 0741???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 08:47 PM
Default Clearing "pending codes" on DCM will remove error code 0741???

Hello,

I recently bought a 2002 deville and it failed emissions due to the TCC 0741 code. Very unfortunate indeed but I paid a shop to fix it along with replacing some soft parts in the transmission. I got my car back and not only did the 0741 code pop back up but now there's also the 0410 code (secondary air pump) AND the car clunks when I take it out of drive! It seems as if I paid to get more troubles than before! I took the car back and the mechanic said they are going to clear "pending" codes from the DCM. Does this have any chance of working? Why would he assume it's a faulty DCM and not go back in and recheck his work? At least make sure he hooked the air pump back up! Is this a legitimate fix or am I getting jerked around? Also is the "clunk" when I take it out of D a motor mount issue? Any advice is good advice here! -Thanks

PS: When I bought the car it had the service engine soon light on and as I have never owned a post 1996 car i had no idea it meant I would automatically fail emissions... I thought oil change or something. Naturally the seller failed to mention the tranny issues but it runs and drives great. Hopefully that will be the dumbest thing I do this year.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:51 PM

Yes, a motor mount can cause the clunking. Basically, when you shift out of drive, the torque of the engine causes the engine to rock if the mount was broken. The Secondary Air Pump issue may have been caused by the rocking engine. When I bought my 2002 Deville, it clunked exactly like yours does, and the dealer said it was the motor rocking.

In terms of the TCC issue, it's possible that he replaced the sensor, but it's possible another internal issue caused it to go out again. Sometimes, when the Torque Converter and/or internal seals fail, it can cause issues with the TCC.

Since the TCC is still not fixed, your mechanic should take care of it for free, since most places have a warranty, where it will be fixed when you leave. The engine mount and SAR MIGHT be a new issue, but it is possible they were damaged (both need to be disconnected when the engine is pulled out to fix the transmission).

TS

Old 03-15-2014, 11:25 PM

Thanks Mr. Simpson, I picked my caddie up today from the mechanic who originally "fixed" it and he said his work is solid and the issue is a faulty TCM/ DCM and that I need a new computer as the 0741 code is "stuck" in the system. The code appears when I scan the codes from my dash but no check engine light... yet. I'll take it to the Cadillac dealer this week and see if the problem lies with the transmission work or the computer... very frustrating. How long does it usually take to replace a front motor mount by the way? When I ask how long it will take I actually mean how much it will it cost?

Old 03-16-2014, 08:49 AM

You can try clearing the codes, and see if it comes back. The TCM may not need to be replaced. With the SAR and motor mount, you're looking at around a 4 hour job, and depending on your mechanic's labor rate, can get pretty high. You MIGHT be able to negotiate it, because - in order to work on the transmission - he would have had to unbolt and remove the engine. He should have seen that the motor mounts were bad, and then the MMs later breaking damaged the SAR.

Other than that, accept the fact he replaced the TCC and worked on the seals inside the transmission. The only concern is the Motor Mounts, which let the engine pivot, causing damage to the SAR.

TS