Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

99 Seville Engine over heating and White smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Thumbs down 99 Seville Engine over heating and White smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes

Hello, I have a 99 Cadillac Seville SLS with a really bad white smoke and over heating problem. So many people telling different things it could be. I need some professional help. Could it be a crack block, or the head gaskets. Also there is no water or anything in the oil. it comes out clean. Please help!!!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by z24cruiser
Hello, I have a 99 Cadillac Seville SLS with a really bad white smoke and over heating problem. So many people telling different things it could be. I need some professional help. Could it be a crack block, or the head gaskets. Also there is no water or anything in the oil. it comes out clean. Please help!!!

these engines are not known for cracking but the head-gasket can be a problem .. have someone do a exhaust gas in the coolant test ...

the over heating points to a head-gasket leak into the coolant ...

Old 02-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Tech Certified Members

I'd have to agree....a head gasket is more likely than a cracked block or head.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:32 PM

white smoke means blown head gaskets

Old 02-13-2011, 08:13 PM

Thanks, I'll be sure to check the gaskets asap.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Default Sorry to hear this.

I recently bought a 1999 seville sts and unfortunately am dealing with this problem now.

What I have learned is that it is not a head gasket failure. The head bolts are pulling from the block. These aluminum blocks(I think 97-99 are the worst) at around 100,000(Mine has 91,000) miles fail to hold the amount of ft/lbs of torque required to hold the heads to the block and become stripped out(GM's Dexcool coolant could be part of the problem from what I have read). Definitely do an exhaust gas test on your coolant(The test kit is NAPA Part # BK 700-1006) before you spend any more $$$ on it. Once exhaust gases are confirmed to be in your coolant there are 2 ways to approach the problem.....have the proper modifications done to the engine you have or purchase a re-manufactured engine with the proper modifications done. I have opted for the latter at a cost of 4-5,000 dollars. I went this route because I just purchased the car and do not know what this engine has been through or how hot it has been and there is only about $1000 difference in cost. So for the extra $1000 I have the peace of mind of knowing what I have and a 3yr/100,000 mile warranty on parts and labor.

Again I am very sorry to read so many of these horror stories. I had always wanted a Cadillac and when I finally got one this is what I got. It's been a real hard pill to swallow and needless to say Cadillac has left a bad taste in my mouth. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of options and after the new motor I am bad upside down in this car so I am stuck with it for quite some time. That being said, from what I have read and been told, once the proper mods have been done to this engine it is unstoppable and good to go for 250,000 miles if cared for properly.

Do a search on the forums-- there is a "campaign" or recall that addresses this issue and if your vin # is in line with the recall #'s then you might get lucky and GM may foot the bill. Unfortunately my vin was too early although mine suffers from the same issue addressed by the campaign/recall. Not sure how they can pick and choose which vins will be fixed and which will not when the issue is the same? At any rate, best of luck to you. I hope GM has to pay for yours.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Default thanks Biaxident

Biaxident, thanks for that info. We just got done putting the engine back together.. And is now in the SLS, just need to finish it. It was just the rear head-gasket, not the block. I'm so glad it's not that. I'll do a coolant check once we flush it out, and run it awhile. I do see some thick stuff in the coolant reseviour, not sure if the previous owner use some kind of leak sealant. Which it might of worked, just not long enough. I couldn't spend 4-5000 for a engine. If this new gasket doesn't work, it might be junked.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 PM

did you timesert the threads in the block or just put a gasket in it you didnt reuse the head bolts did you

Old 04-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Default bolts

Yeah i did use new bolts. I'm not sure what timesert even means, can you explain that?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Certified Members

take a ride to our FAQ .. age of GM coolant can be a problem for these engines.

unless the car was cheap, really cheap, i wouldnt touch any used car with aluminum blocks w/o doing a cylinder pressure test, an exhaust gas in coolant test, and a transmission slippage test .. these $4,000 to $5,000 problems are not only GM, but industry wide.