Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

1999 Seville SLS Problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by CaddySeville99
Yeah I was in a bad situation no money, and my father was out of town for about 6 months to help me out. I'm only 19 thats the problem. I took it to 1 place they couldnt find anything. I then took it to my local GM/Cadillac dealer and the guy that works on caddy's drove it and couldnt get it to overheat. He also said I dont have a bad head gasket. I dont know what else to do?
I had the same exact overheating issue with my 97. I gave it to my dealer for 3 days who drove it home and still it didn't overheat for him, but he only lived 6 miles away. the best way to be sure of no water in oil is to change the oil. the smoke out of the tailpipe could be the oil burn off thats getting by your rings after it sits. Honestly though bud, after replacing my radiator, waterpump, hose clamps, thermostat, heater hoses, run a 60/40 mix with bottle water and a water wetter supplement...it still overheated. I came to the conclusion the head gasket was gone between the exhaust and water port in the head causing the gases to heat the water creating more pressure in the system than normal and blowing out water around the cap. When idling after it cools down one time...take the cap off and look to see if you are getting any air bubbles coming out of the resevoir tank. i've been told thats the poor mans head gasket leak test. then again...i'm no Caddy Master Mechanic. I have yet to find one at a Dealership though...lol.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Unhappy I have the same problem

Originally Posted by CaddySeville99
Hi guys, first post here. I bought a 1999 Seville SLS last november. It ran great until about april of 2007 I was on the highway and the engine temp went way up to the H. It then said Engine hot A/C Off. Engine hot idle engine. So I pull over and turn off the car for 5 minutes turn it back on the engine is back in the middle between C/H. So I drive and it then goes up closer to the H but then creeps right back down to the middle ifI slow down. So since then when on the highway it will tick up to Hot or close to it, and usually if i slow down it will tick right back to the middle within a matter of seconds. Sometimes it will tick up 3/4 of the way and I will keep driving and it will tick right back to the middle too. I then Move from clinton, Iowa to Sprngfield missouri so have to make a 7 hour drive. I drive down here and when in St. Louis traffic jam the car goes all the way to the H and i cant pull over so i have to sit in the traffic with car on in Hot. It was also 95 degrees and sunny, didnt help. So i finally make it here after pulling over numerous times. Once I pulled over and noticed there was a little collant leaking from the overflow tank cap even tho it was on tightly. I get here and take it to a shop they change thermostat. I get car back but cant drive right now because I need new insurance and liscense. The car sat 3 weeks then I started it. When started there is now white smoke coming from the exhaust when idle, and it has that exhaust smell to it.I havent driven it yet to see if the smoke quits while driving. If i rev the engine when idle a lot more smoke comes out. I looked under the oil cap, no milky grey build-up. It doesnt really seem to be leaking collant. Does anyone know what I should do about this, hopefully I dont have a blown headgasket. The car has 87,000 miles. Thanks for the input, and sorry for the long post!