Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Steering Wheel Grind - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Default Steering Wheel Grind - Please help!

Hi everybody! First time post here, I have a 98 DeVille that's been a GREAT car. We bought it for my grandfather 10 years ago and got the car back when he passed away in 2003.

I'm at a loss here....lately I've noticed a grinding sound when I turn the wheel. (especially when it's warming up) I took it to my dealer here in Dallas and they said the power steering pump needed to be replaced for over $900. I took to my independent mechanic who looked at it and said the power steering pump was fine! He did say that Cadillac made a change to the power steering HOSE after the 98 production. He doesn't really know what to fix.

I've searched and searched and can't seem to find any answers. Has anybody else had this problem?! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Steering Wheel Grind - Please help!

ORIGINAL: 98DeVille

Hi everybody! First time post here, I have a 98 DeVille that's been a GREAT car. We bought it for my grandfather 10 years ago and got the car back when he passed away in 2003.

I'm at a loss here....lately I've noticed a grinding sound when I turn the wheel. (especially when it's warming up) I took it to my dealer here in Dallas and they said the power steering pump needed to be replaced for over $900. I took to my independent mechanic who looked at it and said the power steering pump was fine! He did say that Cadillac made a change to the power steering HOSE after the 98 production. He doesn't really know what to fix.

I've searched and searched and can't seem to find any answers. Has anybody else had this problem?! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
is the PS pump leaking? fluid level? mileage?

we could use more, much more detail on the highlighted sentence. moving on street, parkign lot, speeds, making u-turn, turning around a corner, just barely touch the wheel, etc., etc..

belt old? new?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:59 PM

The pump is not leaking any fluid according to the mechanic. The car has about 115,000 miles.

I mainly notice the grinding when I'm backing out of my garage and getting on the street. It's only done this for about 6 months now. Once the car warms up I don't seem to notice the sound.

Belt old or new? To be honest, I have no idea. We've done every necessary repair, so I'm thinking if it SHOULD have been replaced by now, it probably has....

Thanks for any input!

ETA: I have no idea why my computer is putting quotation marks where the apostrophe should go....sorry.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 98DeVille

The pump is not leaking any fluid according to the mechanic. The car has about 115,000 miles.

I mainly notice the grinding when I'm backing out of my garage and getting on the street. It's only done this for about 6 months now. Once the car warms up I don't seem to notice the sound.

Belt old or new? To be honest, I have no idea. We've done every necessary repair, so I'm thinking if it SHOULD have been replaced by now, it probably has....

Thanks for any input!

ETA: I have no idea why my computer is putting quotation marks where the apostrophe should go....sorry.
belts are good & cheap place to start. if yours is:
more than a couple years old,
shows any cracking,
shows glazing
I be replacing it. maybe the TECHS have more ideas

that the sound goes away when it warms up, makes moving parts suspicious, ie .. bearings, pulleys? If it was me, I be tempted to suck out some of the old fluid and replace it with LUCAS oil

http://lucasoil.hodgsoncorp.com/luca..._stop_leak.htm
If you have an annoying power steering fluid leak, or
If you have a high pitched power steering pump noise, or
If you have slack, hard spots or tightness in your rack & pinion steering
Then you are on the right page!
lastly, some GM recommendations can be a bit deficient. Coolant should be replaced every two years, regardless of GM's recommendation. If you dont know when that was changes, jump on it .. read our FAQ on coolant and headgaskets, play it safe.

we got this cool program that keeps count on how many times you edit by adding one extra ' for every edit. You edited 7 times. Aint that cool?
Of course, no one knew that the software had that "bug" when they installed it so it is purely accidental.
not all bugs are malign ...

Old 01-28-2009, 11:56 AM

Aha! That definitely explains the quotation mark issue!

I'll tell the mechanic what you all told me. Thanks for the input everyone.