Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Website Feedback and Suggestions (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/website-feedback-suggestions-21/)
-   -   Facebook! Why are Cadillac Forum members always at the beach ! (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/website-feedback-suggestions-21/facebook-why-cadillac-forum-members-always-beach-12483/)

jr AK 08-12-2011 12:17 PM

Facebook! Why are Cadillac Forum members always at the beach !

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Cadillac enthusiasts!

I'm jr AK. Or Dylan. I'm fairly new here but I've been creeping around for a bit now. I just want to know why so many threads and posts are neglected? So many times when I'm reading around, there are unanswered questions, dead threads and way out dated threads as the most recent. On the contrary, there are many helpful and useful threads as well.

I am just posting this because I know for a fact that this site has so much potential! We love our Cadillac(s) and we want to treat them with all the care in the world. We're the kind of people who enjoy doing our own work because we want the job done RIGHT the FIRST time without going to $tealerships. (and yes i $tole that slang from a thread I was reading here)

What is it that this site is lacking? Knowledge? I don't think so. From my readings, I know there are very educated people/technicians on here who provide a ton of help. But do we need more? I'm sure I'm not the only person who experiences this problem, but sometimes there's just very little useful input.

We have to contribute to our online Cadillac community. We might be thousands of miles apart, but we all share one common interest at the least. :D :D :D

PS - sorry if this is a re-post in any way shape or form.

BTW: 2001 Cadillac Seville SLS w/ Corsa Cat-Back exhaust + butt plug :D

92_Daddylac 08-13-2011 05:20 AM

Well i totally agree with you there isnt very much activity that happens here. Part of the reason is this site gets confused with the other Cadillac forum aka the "s" forum cuz it has an S on the end of cadillacforum(s).com. I have a Cardomain account and have been referring the new people with cady's to subscribe to this forum and they end up on the other one. which i have an account for that reason to help them get on this one instead because i find lots of vague info on that site although there is good info on both sites i also use both as references to help solve questions or issues. I have been a member for quite awhile and have noticed that ever since the site crashed it has lost many members both very helpful and members who came here because of how much more friendly this site is compared to other types of forums.

This is by far one of the best forums ive been apart of. I say that because ive owned many cars and subscribed to other forums and people were either rude or felt that insulting people first before getting to know a person was helping them. Ive seen how this site works and i cant believe its not making an impact like it was. I mean this forum has members new and old and they are helpful. everyone here treats everyone as a respectable person regardless of how dumb a question might be. Thats what these forums were meant to be and this forum represents that in all ways.

Like i said before ive been trying to get the word out about this forum using cardomain and have had good luck as long as the person uses the right web address. Ive also been helping the guys on cardomain with issues they may have and when i need some back up i usually tell them to come to this site. whether they stay as a member they atleast know where to go to get helpful info. So as far as trying to get the site to be noticed i think its up to us members to help spread the word either to friends we know or people we meet online on other sites that may have issues or concerns. I know this site was once the place to get all the info because it always had answers to many questions i had. Thats how i found this site. when it crashed the first time and was brought back up some valuable info was lost and never recovered. for the most part some of the older members do lurk in periodically. i have tried to make it a habit to stop in atleast 4-5 times a week to help answer posts. I The fact is we dont have a high amount of members that can answer posts like we used too. for that to change we would have to find techs out there that are willing to spend time on here to help give advise or keep the site updated with additional info. with older models getting older along with the techs that used to work on them, that is also making it harder for some issues to get resolved. Vise versa for the newer models, we dont have many People who have learned to much about the issues on newer Cady's to help the members with their out of warranty issues that may be easy to fix rather than spending tons of money to have it done at a shop. Thats not always the case but i know it does happen.

i wish i knew more about the newer models and older ones. i learn as i go on many things as i work on cars on my spare time helping freinds and coworkers on their vehicles. I try keeping myself in the loop on fixing issues as best i can on a wide range of cars. its becoming more difficult on newer cars as things change from year to year on some cars. So by me going out to fix things i may not know much about i take things slow and learn as much as possible about the car im working on. For example my own car my cadillac seville from the time i bought it i thought i knew almost everything about it i learned more about it than i ever thought. I actually know how to eliminate TCS and still start off in first with out cutting wires or changeing anything. All because of an issue i had i came across it though. So if some one has the same issue as me im able to help. Doesnt mean im the only one who had this issue but if im the only one on here at the time i can chime inand help. So if you have been lurking and learning about issues you may be just as good as solving and issue or helping out if possible that alone will keep people coming here and staying.

Well before i take up all your time by having you read this i will end this post by saying if you know anyone who needs advise or has advise refer them here as i will do the same and eventually this site will come back to life as it moves forward.

Stealth 08-13-2011 02:23 PM

Daddylac stated it well .. allow me to add a couple of bits ...
the other cad site he refers too is an ego driven site, i should know - i actually moderated the Allante section there on that site until the adm decided to act as a bully and i would have none of that. in fact, there were a total of three sites where i heavily posted, mainly on the topics of the Allante and 4x4 vehicles .. Stealth's posts are still there on all those sites -- i eventually pulled out from those sites due to the adm's behaving like jerks and bullies ... what i dont get to this day is why people keep supporting such sites .. even in the Allante world, the site with the bully adm's and jerks has most of the action, whereas the alternate Allante site sees little action --
many sites out there practice bully behaviour, members slamming each other, flaming new members for various reasons, and outright bully adm's .. none of that is allowed here.
in this site i also know there are several TECHS that know a whole lot than i ever will - not all of them carry a TECH banner as it has become next to impossible to get them from the absent adm here -- so i stand back and let them spot the threads as they see them .. lately i concentrate on keeping the site CLEAN .. no spammers, no jerks, no bullies ..
i believe that this is a site meant for well behaved people that are genuinely interested on helping each other .. that may well be a small percentage and so be it .. unfortunately due to the minimal traffic we also get minimal system support .. lets hope the system doesnt crash again. on the crash that Daddylac refers to, we lost most of the Allante information and the huge amount of Allante related pictures that we had posted over two years and along with it the motivation to re-post it again.
spread the word, bring your friends over ...

jr AK 08-17-2011 01:58 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I actually learned a thing or two. I was aware of the other forum (s) forum or whatever. I agree that there's a lot of vague info on there, but with the amount of people subscribed to that forum, it's a good place to find things because there is a higher volume of input. But I prefer this site because it seems more like a "friendly community" forum rather than just get the answer and get the hell out.

I wasn't aware that this site had crashed before, I'm sure that's a huge factor as to why there is much inactivity here. For example, I posted this 5 days ago and only got 2 replies (2 very helpful replies might I add :D ). But just like how everyone uses the (s) forum, I'm sure they would find this site just as useful. By the looks of it there are many knowledgeable people who have posted replies or use(d) this site.

Are there any mods on this forum to attend regularly? It's up to us to make this site useful and educational. We can't just sit here and post threads hoping SOMEONE would be courteous enough to post something useful am I right??

Stealth, I agree with you about member flaming.. I've been on many forums where all they do is make fun of the new guys and don't acknowledge the users they should. I respect this forum for that reason, because through my searches I've noticed that everyone on here is pretty respectful (for the most part) with regards to other members and their feelings (haven't seen every post, but haven't spotted any trolls).

Like Stealth said..

SPREAD THE WORD, BRING YOUR FRIENDS OVER

Even if they aren't Cadillac owners or enthusiasts, bring them over. Mechanics, apprentices, friends who like your car, people you meet with a cadillac, anyone really. As long as they have a positive outlook, the willingness to learn or the patience to teach!

Thanks Stealth and Daddylac!! :D:D:D

So what you think of my Seville?

stomper 08-18-2011 12:05 AM

this site is like going to the beach, sit around some, enjoy a swim now and then, enjoy the views ...

if anyone wants Grand Central well, we know what site fits that ...

tell me about the rims .. they got my attention ...

92_Daddylac 08-18-2011 01:57 AM

I seen this thread is still going a little bit. I did have one question or suggestion to possibly bring more people to this site. I have a face book page and thought about the pages i view and one of them is a cadillac page that i get updates on what cadillac is doin as far as new models etc. I figured that if we had a page dedicated to this site we could answer questions by directing them to this site for answers. As many people that are fans or like cadillacs and search for facebook pages it could bring more to this site. It would allow people who are enthusiast, mechanics, and possible new owners of Cadillacs to see what this site has to offer. I was going to create the page but wasnt sure what you guys thought and if there is any way to link this site to the page. With all these social network sites i figure if one person likes it then another friend sees it and likes it and so on... it may just be what we need to give this site a jump start. I dont know if it would help a lot or a little but i figured it was worth a try So i made a page for this site search for it and post on the facebook page whats on your mind or what ever you want to talk about. If it helps well keep it if not we can delete it.

jr AK 08-18-2011 08:35 AM

Hi Stomper,

Well put.

About the rims, they are RED SPORT 66 Rims. A branch off of Velocity rims. Initially, I went out looking for Daytons, found them but the guy only had 17"s with a high offset. In my province, once your wheels stick out past the fenders a certain amount, fender flares are required BYLAW. Imagine a beautiful Cadillac with fender flares :confused: I was really stuck on the spoke look so he started showing me different rims and none I really liked. Then these ones caught my eye and I said I gotta have them! Love the rims, profile is perfect, tire size is perfect, no rubbing.

Now, anyone with an SLS 2000+ ... have you guys noticed that the rear suspension sits a lot higher than the front? Compared to the STS where the suspension looks equal all around, why does the SLS sit higher in the back? It kind of got on my nerves for the first bit, but now I don't mind it. Any idea anybody? Are the airbags on the rear axle adjustable? Maybe if I follow the air lines and drain them to my liking then pull the fuse? Just blind shooting here...

jr AK 08-18-2011 08:37 AM

Daddylac,

That's a great idea. I'm going to search the cadillac forum page on facebook and become a fan right away. I think the facebook page idea deserves it's own thread with a sticky!

If possible, we should decorate that page so people know what we're all about here. Lets post pics of our cars and the page logo! Awesome idea. :D

stomper 08-18-2011 01:33 PM

jr,

i got an Allante that has a low rear, but dont know why .. it looks good but sometimes on tight high speed cornering the tires touch the plastic upper inner fender ...

here in So CA, the same rule applies .. in the rain one cannot have tires splashing past the fender ...

daddy,

i guess i'll have to try that facebook thing .. you got a link ?

jr AK 08-18-2011 06:56 PM

Yeah, I have no idea why... someone must know.

as for that link....

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cadil...44060752294488