Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Vintage & Classic Cadillacs (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/vintage-classic-cadillacs-37/)
-   -   Cadillac jab: Cimarron (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/vintage-classic-cadillacs-37/cadillac-jab-cimarron-12135/)

jono6406 05-06-2011 12:31 PM

Cadillac jab: Cimarron

About 2 months ago I purchased an 86 Cimarron with the AC and the power windows broken. All other things were ok. I have self repaired the windows and have converted the AC which is now blowing 46* at the vents. For the last month I haven't driven my STS and have driven only the Cimarron. Man this car is a thrill a minute. The 2.8L V6 is really peppy and has loads of spunk. This is a fun to drive car. STS you better watch out !!! LOL.

deepeter 05-14-2011 01:18 PM

windows

Hi, I was just given an 84 cimarron and it sounds like you may be able to help me with some minor defects, and advice on the following would be much appreciated:

All the windows only go down about three inches.

It idles really high, where to turn it down?

Ac blows but nothing cold.

Where to look for spare body parts?

Thanks,
Pete

jono6406 05-19-2011 02:46 PM

Hi Pete, Congats on your Cimarron purchase. I know after you get this car right that you will love it.
First the body panels are very hard to find. You will find (if you can) only used parts.Try Cadillac king and businesses like that. I need 2 bumper end caps and can't find them nowhere. My dealer Ed Morse Cadillac ( 813-968-8222) also has a NOS GM supplier that has some parts. I don't know about the idle but I will check my FSM.. I had to take my drivers door panel off and examine what was going on inside it to fix it. I had to buy a switch with it's wiring harness. Do an inspection behind the door panels and see what you find. My heater blows cold also without blowing any heat but I live in Florida and don't worry about the heater , If my AC works then I'm a happy camper. If you need heat then you can buy yourself a portable car heater that plugs into your cig lighter. You can view my Cimmy on craigslist/tampabay. ( It's not really for sale)Keep me informed and I will try to help you along the way. Good luck again. By the way what size engine do you have?
Jon
PS
I really like the Cimarron. I wish I could find an 88 in excellent condition. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

jono6406 05-25-2011 08:55 AM

Sorry I misread your question about the AC. When I purchased mines the AC didn't work either. I purchased online a kit for my AC. It was AS-12a refrigerant. The kit was $39 plus shipping. It came with 3 cans of AS-12a freon gas, 1 can of stop leak/oil and 1 can of dye check and the hose to fit directly from can to low pressure port. It has worked wonders for me. The person I purchased my car from said the air hasn't worked in a couple of years but like I said this conversion has worked well for me. Google AS-12a refrigerant and check out their product. A mechanic wanted $650 to fix my air but I did it for only $39 and it is still icy cold and that was about 2 months ago.

stomper 05-25-2011 10:30 PM

Nothing came up as AS-12a. Is it the same as HC-12a?

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/refrig...hc-12a.html#q3

I think HC-12a is basically Butane or Propane? Flammable liquid/gas that tend to catch fire in accidents.

Dont know what the AS-12a is.

deepeter 05-26-2011 08:54 AM

Thanks Jon. I'll definitely take your advice with the AC. I also need 3 bumper end caps... Can't find then anywhere. Do you have suggestions for a repair manual for the Cimmy?

pete

jono6406 06-06-2011 07:45 AM

Sorry all but I made a booboo. Stomper,It's ES-12a not AS-12a. Here is their webpage.
autorefrigerants.com
Pete,I have a Cimarron FSM I can sell you very cheap Like $10 and $5 to ship. Let me know. I will help you in any way I can.