Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Vintage & Classic Cadillacs (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/vintage-classic-cadillacs-37/)
-   -   1976 Calais sedan alternator wiring (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/vintage-classic-cadillacs-37/1976-calais-sedan-alternator-wiring-3837/)

76CalaisUK 09-27-2007 12:06 PM

1976 Calais sedan alternator wiring

Hi, I've just bought my first ever Cadillac - a 1976 Calais sedan over here in Manchester, UK. Before you ask, fuel over here costs approximately $8 per gallon. Ouch.

I write for a UK magazine called 'Classic American' so hopefully I can contribute to the forum although right now I need your help:

My Calais hasn't run for a while and the guy who sold it to me changed the battery's old 'side terminals' for the conventional 'round terminal' battery he had to fit to get it running - and run it does. The problem is that the alternator light on the dash is lit; dimly at idle and more brightly at revs. Looking at the back of the alternator the black wire is going straight to the +ve terminal. At the otherside of the +veterminal there is a wire which has had it's end cut-off and so goes nowhere. Any ideas what's happened here?

I've tried to post pictures of the alt' and the battery terminal but they're too large apparently and I don't know how to make them smaller.

I hope the problemmakes sense to some of you out there. If you could give me any pointers I'd be sincerely grateful.

Andy

Katzmans Caddy 09-27-2007 02:39 PM

RE: 1976 Calais sedan alternator wiring

Pictures would help for sure. All you have to do is go to your photo editor and resize them to be less than 300 MB.

A quick thought or two though, is your belt tight enough? Is you idle high enough? Sure seems like you are not charging and that would point to the Alternator. Does it start after driving, is the battery strong enough to start it?

I have a 73 Pontiac and I'll look at my alternator and see if I can fugure out that extra wire you mention. I have to say over here you can get an AC Delco alternator for about $85 and a $10 refund for the core. In my Pontiacif it takes 20 minutes to change I'd be surprised.

Katzmans Caddy 09-27-2007 06:17 PM

My 73 Pontiac Alternator is no help, it has 3 wires leaving the back of the alternator, one red which is bolted to a terminal on the Alt and then two in a connector one red one black. They are all bundled and head back to the fire wall where they connect to a harness and that's all I see right now.

76CalaisUK 09-29-2007 10:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'll try again later to get some pictures on here.

The battery is brand new. The wiring was fine when I first saw the car and it was on its original 'side-terminal' battery. The generator light has only been on since the old battery died and the guy converted the terminals to the conventional type. The belt appears tight and doesn't squeel - and the car would appear to be running really smooth.

I have to go out now but I'll get back onto the pics later and see what I can do. Oh also is there a place in the US where I can get things like exterior brightwork - 'Calais' script, rear 'quarter' window surrounds and that sort of thing?

Many thanks again,

Andy

brougham1 09-29-2007 12:57 PM

Hey there 76: On my alternator diagram it shows two wires going to the regulator, on wire going to the battery via the solenoid, and the ground wire. The battery wire appears to go to a split off also and go to a junction block which then also goes back to the reg. Hope this helps. Also check out www.usapartssupply.com for all kinds of caddy parts. Just get them to end you a catalogue that pertains to your year of caddy. Good luck.

76CalaisUK 09-29-2007 01:26 PM

Hi Brougham, from what you've told me I think the ground might be missing.Would thatexplain the generatorlight getting brighter as the revs increase? The car is locked in my friends warehouse so I'll go and check it monday morning.

Thanks for the link - that's some list of parts!It might take a while to find what I need but I'm sure it'll be there.

76CalaisUK 10-01-2007 12:30 PM

Many thanks for your help so far.

Ithought I'd let you know that I've found the problem. The two terminals on the alternator were quite badly corroded and it was only charging intermittently. Almost unbelievably I found the exact same unit brand new, at my local auto electrical store and had it fitted inside the hour! It's now charging at 14.2 volts and the 'generator' light only comes on as it should - before the motor fires up.

One more question while I'm here; on the dash, just to theright of the heater controls there 2 small holes. As a wild guessI'd say that there should be a 'Calais' script on there (or deVille etc....). If so, do usapartssupply.com supply stuff like this?

Andy

Katzmans Caddy 10-01-2007 01:13 PM

Thanks for letting us know. Awesome that they had the part!

Here is my favourite place for vintage car parts, you must see something here to suit.

http://search.ebay.ca/search/search....p=1&fsoo=1

76CalaisUK 10-02-2007 03:25 AM

Nice one Kartzman's I'll get right on it.

These cars are cool...!

76CalaisUK 10-11-2007 09:08 AM

Hi all, can you think of any other suppliers of parts besides US Parts Supply? The catalogue arrived in the post and I gave them a call to run through a few things and...well maybe I caught the guy on a bad day butI have to say that their attitude totally stank. I explained that I was calling from the UK and that I needed this-and-that. The guy made it plain from his tone of voice and one-word answers that he had no intention of helping me (maybe it's an anti-British thing???) or discussing what I need for my car.....

Earlier this year I worked for Motoexotica outin StLouis and I found American parts suppliers to be 'can-do' kind of people - so this came as a surprise. Any ideas?