Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Transmission Tech (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/transmission-tech-56/)
-   -   Po758 (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/transmission-tech-56/po758-17480/)

kickasscadillac 04-16-2017 09:03 PM

Po758

I just replaced the 2 Shift Solenoids in my 99 Eldorado. It was showing a PO758 shift solenoids code. I took it out for a drive and it will not shift into the 3rd gear going down the hiway yet?? I hooked up my scan tool while driving and when I clear the code it does shift into the higher gear and just motors down the hiway fine for a bit then it kicks the code and back to square one again. I can clear the code many times and that works but the code always pops back? I know theres like 2 other solenoids in the Side cover and Im wondering if I gotta replace those??? Any help on this is appreciated...Thanks

slowroll 04-17-2017 07:22 PM

I would review you previous solenoid repair

kickasscadillac 04-17-2017 11:30 PM

Thanks for the reply...Im gonna elaborate a bit. I dropped the pan, found the 2 solenoids and tried to remove them. i did not know that a metal clip held them in and that it needed to be removed from the top of the valve body. I broke the old solenoids out in pieces and pulled the clip out of the solenoid hole. I went and ordered the GM solenoids and then found out about dropping the valve body. So I carefully removed the bolts for the valve body and lowered it over the drain pan. I see that the valve body is in 2 pieces. I ordered the "gasket" for the valve body as someone hear suggested but after seeing that the "gasket" is between the 2 valve body pieces and is also the metal plate i did NOT separate the 2 or use the new "gasket". Once again..I never separated the valve body. BUT!!!....later as I was cleaning the valve body in front of the car I noticed a tiny metal ball about 1/8" laying under the car. I freaked out because I know there are like 10 or so "check balls" in the valve body on that plate..which i never took apart!! Heres the thing...I VAGUELY remember something dropping out of the solenoid when I was breaking it apart...is there a "ball" in the solenoids???
I looked at the FSM for the Ball locations and all I see is them IN the valve body associated with the plate. I checked an double checked the illustrations for the parts in the solenoid channels and if it couldve came out of another port or channel and I see no balls in any of those areas. This is why I was thinking another solenoid is bad?? I am not gonna take it to a trans shop and get raped on a repair. Any good transmission help or knowledge of this is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance...Dan

slowroll 04-18-2017 11:49 AM

Check balls can also be to the transmission case. The solenoids in the side cover should be ok, they will set different codes. You have a FSM so I would study the DTC description and chart. also the repair procedure to see if you over looked something. There was a TSB related to broken solenoids and a bracket intended to keep solenoids in place. You may need to go to a repair shop, or find someone more knowledgeable to help you.

kickasscadillac 05-10-2017 12:03 PM

I studied the FSM as to the check balls location. It appears that there is one in a channel that is exposed when dropping the valve body assy. Otherwise the balls are located INSIDE the two valve body halves which i did not disassemble. I am dropping the pan again this weekend and Im hoping that the ball is missing where i think it goes. Recheck everyting over and drop the ball in and Im hoping thats the problem!

kickasscadillac 05-14-2017 08:52 PM

I took the valve body off again. this time i removed the valve body from the lower and checked that all the check balls were in there and where they were supposed to be. They were...all of them. I broke open one of the old shift solenoids and they do have a lil ball in them. I broke the other on removing it and thats where the "extra ball" came from. It still is not going to 3 rd gear unless I clear the code with my code reader as Im driving. Then it will shift and go down the road perfect. So now I guess I gotta take it to a shop so they can look at the wiring or something else causing it.