p0741 code

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Default Light went off! 2 weeks after flush.

Not sure if it fixed the problem, but I went ahead and did the flush and filter. Had the code reset, it came back after about a week. I scheduled to have them rebuild the transmission for a week later, and a few days before having to bring it in, the check engine light is no longer on. I was concerned it might mean the solenoid is burned out, but then it would pull up another code. I'm at 70100 miles now so hopefully if you catch it when it happens, this may be a temporary fix.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by bdbarb
Not sure if it fixed the problem, but I went ahead and did the flush and filter. Had the code reset, it came back after about a week. I scheduled to have them rebuild the transmission for a week later, and a few days before having to bring it in, the check engine light is no longer on. I was concerned it might mean the solenoid is burned out, but then it would pull up another code. I'm at 70100 miles now so hopefully if you catch it when it happens, this may be a temporary fix.
I'm at about 74000 now and the state inspection notice came in, as soon as I got in the car to drive to get an inspection, the check engine light comes on. I have to go fix the damn sensor and am going to have them replace the torque converter while they are in there. From what I hear 2800 is a great price, but that's no xmas presents for my family this year.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:47 AM

Dear bdbarb,

I have seen your post about your vehicle. Could you please, provide me with more details about your situation from the beginning to current? Please, include the year, model and trim level of you Cadillac.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Cadillac Customer Service

Old 10-25-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cadillac Customer Service
Dear bdbarb,

I have seen your post about your vehicle. Could you please, provide me with more details about your situation from the beginning to current? Please, include the year, model and trim level of you Cadillac.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Cadillac Customer Service
Hi Michelle,
Do you happen to be running an ad promo to give away a new CTS-V to someone with a little car trouble? Actually I would be so grateful if you could press a button somewhere and extend the warranty to 100k on that powertrain

It's a 2003 SLS with sports package(fog lights, quad exhaust). I bought the car October 2011 with 63500 miles and the light came on about a week before I made my first post to this forum at 69800 In May. I did the transmission flush and had the filter replaced. Had to clear the codes a couple of times for about 2-3 weeks, and the light stayed off till October at about 74300. I actually may have found an old school shop in the boonies that will replace the Torque converter and valves and solenoid for 1100 and do a full rebuild for 2100. Every shop I talked to said they've done at least 2 of these this summer. I still would much rather have it done by Cadillac for peace of mind. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of peace in my wallet. :P

Brian

Last edited by bdbarb; 10-25-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:49 PM

OK, I just picked my car up from the transmission shop and had them put in a torque converter, transaxle seals, etc... Computer is reset and I now have gone about 25 miles. Problem is now it feels like the car is slipping going into second gear. It's like it's hitting hard from 1st to 2nd. Is this typical until the computer can realize the new parts? Or does this sound like another issue?

Old 11-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Certified Members

"Slipping" and "Hitting hard" are complete opposite descriptions. It may take a few miles for the controller to relearn the shift adapts, but the adapts will not update until the trans is at operating temp, and there are no codes set. Give it a couple of days and see how it does. If it does not start shifting better, take it back and let them know. If you drive it too long with it slipping, knowing that it is slipping, they may not warranty it.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:06 AM

Took it back to the trans shop, P0741 is back but there is no check engine light on. Luckily it did the odd shifting a couple times for the guy to see what it was doing. They are going to take it back apart and see if they can fix it. It's at the shop now.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Certified Members

Please let us know what they tell ya.....

Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Unhappy undecided

1998 Seville STS Deep Red moon roof; chrome 7 spoke; beautiful - 112K m

* freak "accident" with a stray painters sign bounced off the truck and hit the hood and roof. Got a complete hood and roof repaint with blend in on fenders, so the paint looks awesome
* freak engine cooling problem revealed plastic in water jacket during shipping - received a new engine compliments GM with 60K on the body, so the engine is nearly new
* high-pressure power steering changeout; H20 pump; new disc brakes all around; set of michelins with <30K miles; set of Arnott McPherson struts; O2 sensors replaced all this past 12 mos.
* Interior in pretty good shape (two front leather seat inserts could use replacement)
===
Got the dreaded P0741. The local dealer MEDVED Caddie Service manager says he guarantees 3yr 100K m Overhaul for $3,200. No other takers in the Denver area for less.
Kelly BB says the vehicles worth is $5,300 excellent condition to $4,500 average condition.
I love this car. But I'm middle aged and itchin for a Jaguar, too.
A technician buddy says don't drop another dime into her.
This being a Caddie Forum, I'm hoping for sound advice
Spend and drive or abandon and car payments

Old 03-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Default There's a reason a 46k Cadi is only 4-5k Bluebook.

Originally Posted by funbunch
1998 Seville STS Deep Red moon roof; chrome 7 spoke; beautiful - 112K m

A technician buddy says don't drop another dime into her.
This being a Caddie Forum, I'm hoping for sound advice
Spend and drive or abandon and car payments

Well I think if the car was 46k new on the lot, and I've put under 10k into it with purchase price and a rebuilt tranny at 75k miles that might not be so bad. But now the "Service Stability System" light came on. I've had it checked out and there's no sign of anything wrong with brakes, drives fine, etc... I'm reading that it may be another 3k job to fix this. The engine hasn't been overhauled yet either, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before that goes. I just think it's sad an American luxury car can't make it past 70k miles without a complete overhaul! I'm adding it all up and with what this car will likely wind up costing me in the end, a new 268HP Camry is only 23k and comes with a 10yr 100k warranty. My Cadi is looking to me like a great tradein! I'm going to have to spend that money anyway...