Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Transmission Tech (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/transmission-tech-56/)
-   -   help - Cadillac Winter mode PRNDL gear switch corrosion (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/transmission-tech-56/help-cadillac-winter-mode-prndl-gear-switch-corrosion-11366/)

voodoochikin04 10-20-2010 09:01 AM

help - Cadillac Winter mode PRNDL gear switch corrosion

So, i've been a member here for a little while, but i think this may be my first post. I've had my car for almost 2 years, 2003 cts. Since i've had it, the winter mode doesnt work. The light doesn't come on when I push the button, and it doesnt change anything on the car (thought maybe bulb was burnt). This last winter I got stuck soooo many times due to tire spin and t/c. The dealer doesnt seem to wanna offer any help to this issue. I need some direction to go off of and I can't find any info online to this problem (maybe Im not looking in the right spot). Winter is fast approaching and I dont wanna be stuck anymore. Ive checked the manual 3 times for fuses, relays, and other stuff... no luck please help!! :D -Matt

stomper 10-20-2010 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04 (Post 39647)
So, i've been a member here for a little while, but i think this may be my first post. I've had my car for almost 2 years, 2003 cts. Since i've had it, the winter mode doesnt work. The light doesn't come on when I push the button, and it doesnt change anything on the car (thought maybe bulb was burnt). This last winter I got stuck soooo many times due to tire spin and t/c. The dealer doesnt seem to wanna offer any help to this issue. I need some direction to go off of and I can't find any info online to this problem (maybe Im not looking in the right spot). Winter is fast approaching and I dont wanna be stuck anymore. Ive checked the manual 3 times for fuses, relays, and other stuff... no luck please help!! :D -Matt

when you press the snow button, there's no snowflake icon displaying on your cluster? If the answer is no, check and see if the car starts in third gear. If so, maybe the bulb is burned. If not, maybe a re-programing is due.

If the answer is yes and when you turn off the car and restarting it again or later and the snowflake icon is not there, its normal. It goes back in normal driving mode every time you start the car.

voodoochikin04 10-20-2010 03:19 PM

"The light (on the cluster{the snowflake}) doesn't come on when I push the button, and it doesnt change anything on the car {such as starting in third gear, even though no snowflake light is coming on} (thought maybe bulb was burnt)."

"the dealer doesn't seem to wanna help me either" as far as programming.

so my first post answered those questions already :)

Adams' Apple 10-22-2010 11:47 AM

It may be the switch itself. Especially if it is located in the flat area of the center console. Switches in that area are prone to getting coffee/soda/Jack Daniels spilled on them quite often. They will eventually fail. Sometimes, a good cleaning will correct the problem, but sometimes, replacement is the only option.
I would start with checking the switch for voltage in, and out. If there is voltage going to the proper terminal on the switch, but none coming out when you press it, the switch is bad.

Are you sure your car has a "Winter" mode? The only thing I can find is a "Sport/Economy" button/setting in my diagnostics....:confused:

itisian 10-24-2010 09:53 PM

uhm.. for the guy who commented above the 2003-2005 CTS comes with three modes. Winter, Normal and Sport.
now my question. does your Sport button still work? if it doesn't illuminate, press the button ONCE anyways, and put it to the floor. LISTEN TO THE GEAR CHANGES. then press the button again, repeat the same step, and listen to see if the gear shifting is slower. if so, you've only got a burnt out bulb. but if not, the transmission might be a little messed up. let me know!

voodoochikin04 10-25-2010 08:54 AM

oh yea!! sport mode works good, lights up fine... i searched and searched last week and found one post on the e-class benz forum about dudes winter mode not working due to bad switch.. wanted to slap myself, thats probably the problem.. but i was busy all weekend putting new mid travel front end on my dune buggy.

yea there is winter mode, snowflake button. i will definitely check for a bad switch!!! thanks guys!! btw- how do you get the shifter boot and assembly off, didnt see any screw bosses or anything.. thanks!!

voodoochikin04 10-25-2010 07:13 PM

took apart everything to test switch and found that the switch is a curcuit integration not a regula push button switch.. there was some nice corrosion on the board from where someone spilled something at some point.. seems i need to find a new board now.. good luck right?

voodoochikin04 10-26-2010 08:47 AM

well... i cannot find another PRNDL unit.. on ebay or anywhere.. where can i get one other than the dealer?

voodoochikin04 11-10-2010 03:24 PM

SOLVED>.......

after calling dealer, and other 3rd party cadillac parts suppliers.. I found everyone wanted an arm and leg for this little cell phone sized plastic unit.. FINALLY i started messaging people on ebay selling cts parts.. and someone had one. 25$ shipped.. once i recieved it i had to clean coffee out of it, but the board wasnt corroded like on mine.. installed it, and winter mode now functions!!! yee haw, because last winter sucked!!!

Diamond-n-da-back 01-02-2015 10:41 PM

Winter Mode & Sport Mode

I have a 2005 CTS 3.6L and my winter mode nor sport mode is working. Never have since i bought the car. I was trying to check to see if it could be a relay or blown fuse but all my fuses under the hood are in proper working matter. can someone help?

hell you can even text me the info if you want

919-346-3589....Desperate need lol