Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Why??????????????????? (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/why-10131/)

jons95sls 11-30-2009 08:08 AM

Why???????????????????

hello
with all you cady owners out there i was wondering why they created these cars not to be user friendly?what i mean is the electrical system is the biggest joke in auto history.if you go to a parts house and ask for? they think yr driving a harley davidson or HD hundred dollar.i mean look at the heater motors,i run an auto electric shop mind you,they cast me 165.00,and why?or a fuel pressure reg,75.00.other cars are 20-50 bucks.hmmmmmmm something wrong here.yea ill admit,i luv my cady,ive had about 6.but i think they should come with a warning ,beware these cars can an will cost you in the long run.i would just like to really talk to the person whom designed these to ask them why?not only the rich people want a nice ride that will last them.
oh well on to better thing.
thanks jon.:confused::confused:

Mrmojorisin 11-30-2009 06:09 PM

Ive always wondered why so many say that its soo expensive to own a Cadillac.
Mind you Ive only owned 2. But in the last 8 years, I havent found repairs to be more expensive than most other vehicles. To tell the truth...sometimes Im surprised at how inexpensive they are.
I really think it has more to do with how capable (and or trust worthy) the mechanics/shops that are doing the diagnosis and or repairs.

slowroll 11-30-2009 09:04 PM

Parts can be pricey, Systems are overly complexed, But its a Cadillac and somewhat expected. It is only going to get worse, IMO it is a mistake, because simplisity is reliability and the excessive electronics/features are not when the costs to repair can excede value of the vehicle. Hi-Tech fuel systems are required for MPG and emissions but alot of the other "stuff" could fall off and few would miss it.

jons95sls 12-02-2009 09:31 PM

i heard an engineer on the radio the other day and he said that cars were built witout the user in mind also he said they tried to liten the cars for better fuel milage,my 82 eldo got 22 miles to the gallon and it was heavy,my 89 deville got 30-32,blew me away.and yes the parts are higher for the cadys,unless you get lucky and find good used ones,dont get me wrong you cant beat a cadys ride and handeling,WOW!!!!!.but when they have trouble,look out.time to pay the piper.oh well i will fix and own my 95 sls,cause its a great running car other than the electical system.but im overcomming that isue.
thanks jon

stomper 12-03-2009 01:49 PM

When the subject is electrics, the statistical difference in reliability in highly reliable cars and less reliable cars, comes down to a couple items .. presence of OXIDE in connectors and failed (crimp / solder) joints.

Gold and di-electric grease can make a significant improvement on the subject of oxide; failed joints is usually due to sloppy/improper harness installations.

It is pretty difficult to go and gold plate the connectors but the di-electric solution is cheap, its easy to do, and reliable.

Suggest that everyone reads the "electrical ghosts thread" in this site.

Mrmojorisin 12-08-2009 06:10 PM

Electrical Ghosts...OMG !!!!!....

Wifes 99 Bonneville kept shuttin off intermittently.
Now this is not a Caddy eh.....
Anyways. Turned out to be a bad ground somewhere under the carpet on the drivers side. Needless to say. After all the time and effort by the dealer trying to diagnose and find the problem. Once found.
Absolutely no charge.
Like I said above "I really think it has more to do with how capable (and or trust worthy) the mechanics/shops that are doing the diagnosis and or repairs."