Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   hybrids ? (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/hybrids-2102/)

Stealth 03-13-2007 12:27 AM

hybrids ?

hey zinzin,

should we start a thread on hybrids and why they dont deliver what they promise?

Patrick 03-13-2007 12:35 AM

RE: hybrids ?

im not someone who rejects the idea, but i reject the cost and lack of performance.

i wont ever buy a car again that wont run in the 12s, stock. So, if they can make an alternative fuel vehicle that doesnt cost any more than a comparable vehicle performance-wise, ill buy it. But they seem to also insist that the hybrids look like the jetsons should be driving it...[:'(]

Stealth 03-13-2007 10:26 AM

i dont know about performance as those electric motors
have a lot of gt up and go.

however, there is a member here that bought one
and not sure uses it due to its questionable level
of comfort and .... well, i will let him explain.

i do know it is worth more than he paid for it,
and probably increasing in value as we speak

hyperion 03-13-2007 11:42 AM

How much time have you got? I prchased a Prius on March of 04 because I was concerned with the amounts of gas being consumed in the U.S. and that we have seemed to have gone to War because of the lack of mid-east oil. I couldn't figure out why the hybrid was being completely ignored byevery auto manufacturer in the world but the Japanese. So I purchased what was available and accepted my U.S. given $2,000 tax incentive. In 04 that meant a savings of approximately $400.00 (thanks, U.S. taxpayer)
The sticker on the car said 60MPG city and 51MPG highway. For three years I've averaged forty five MPG driving just like I do the Allante. (consumer reports and the new EPA testing have just come up with this figure also.) "Not to Shabby"
I paid $23,000 for the package I chose with every option but the Nav Pak. Have been relying on all the airbags for protection in this car which has them all. Frontal, side and overhead.. Recently there have been two reports of the Prius in a total headon accident with injuries like a broken sternam wher NO airbags were deployed much to the surprise of the police, tow truck drivers and salvage yards. Both are being investigated by the NTSB. You must realize that the prius with all it's plusses is a small light, cheaply made Japanese economy car with things like an aluminum hood and hatchback to keep it light.
Performance wise, it stands right in there with any other family car made for performance figures and mine in three years has only been in for lube service and tire rotations every 5,000 miles. This tire rotation seems to be highly recommended for every Japanese car.
And for those performance figures Zal is right about electric motors. The Prius and Honda Civic are the only two made for milage. The others, Lexas (both sedan and SUV hybrids) are made for performance and it would take a "hemi" to keep up with them. Ditto, the Camry and Honda Accord hybrids. I believe you will find they will out perform their competition from similar American models. But for what cost? At least $6,000 more than the standard model so if you have very deep pockets they will probably be a choice of people who think the Japanese make the only reliable car today. (NUTS)
The Prius is an uncomfortable, inexpensive, economy, mild performing car. (It will run all day at 70MPH on the freeways,)
Why has the rest of the world ignored hybrids? Because they are a nightmare with hi tech. The Prius is run entirely by three computers. You are gelling two electric motors with one internal combustion and they are constantly changing in their "jobs" The ICE (internal combustion) is fired up by one of the electric driving motors and the fuel doesen't even start to flow until the engine ctanks up to 1,000 RPM. You actually can't tell when it starts and stops and the first generation back in 2002 had an "engine run" light just to let you know. Motive power comes from all three power sources and changes continuously thru a one speed transmission. The car in my mind is a gimmic and you will now find plenty on the lots, no waiting period and a hefty drop in resale and whosaler prices. I fortunately anticipated this and got rid of mine in December. (Financially forced "you might say" to purchase a Toyota Highlander)
Another story however. If you plan on trading one of these things in you can only do it at a Japanese dealer. I wanted a Ford Edge but Ford said "We wouldn't even know how to "turn it on," so how could we sell it? (By the way, they all have "smart key" Put the key in your pocket and when you walk up to the car it recognizes you, unlocks all the doors. Walk away and all doors lock, You slide in and push a "start" button. The computer regonizes the key in your pocket. And they can only be stolen with the use of a flatbed truck. Without the electric key they are unstartable by even the smartest computer wizz crooks.
Now, my opinion of our smart guys in Congress. When I purchased my 04, as I mentioned there was a tax incentive to purchase a hybrid and that $2,000 I took saved me $400.00. In 05 our government said if you will purchase a hybrid we will give you a $3150.00 tax rebate! That's it, figure out your tax bill, determine what you owe Uncle Sam and subtract $3150.00 from that figure. We as American taxpayers are giving a tax incentive to a Japanese car maker while American workers are being laid off and auto plants closing. (and still no hybrids made in the rest of the world) And if you live in California, Arizona, Georgia, and Florida we will let you use the HOV lanes with just the single driver. Most people in California have been purchasing the Prius to drive in the HOV lane. Fortunately California drew the line at 85,000 stickers (a figure reached in mid January) and that program just stopped. And the tax incentive has just dropped to $1500. with a further reduction in April to $750.00
Nuff said and I don't see a large market for hybrids even with the price of gas on the rise. Start a gas rationing program however and all bets are off and we will all be driving one.
Still have no idea why Congress in 2003 did not restrict their tax incentives to be applied on American manufatured hybrids ONLY. Would have killed a lot of birds. Oh and with the government mandated clean burning, lo sulphur diesal fuel since Jan 1st, I expect to see a fleet of small diesals coming into the auto dealers from Europe.

G.A.R.Y. 03-13-2007 12:18 PM

Buy a Harley

Stealth 03-13-2007 12:33 PM

Harleys come in hybrid now?
damn ....

ORIGINAL: G.A.R.Y.

Buy a Harley

hyperion 03-13-2007 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: G.A.R.Y.

Buy a Harley
.When you get to my age you got to respect the fillings in your teeth. The last one I had replaced cost me a torn muscle in my mouth and a month without being able to shave my upper lip.
Last Harley I rode was my younger sons in 2003 and the last bike I was on was my older boy's 900 1973 BMW. (restored) last summer, and the last bike I will ever own is the 1973 Honda 350 "Four" sitting in a corner in my garage. I'm just checking on how long the registry is going to let me keepthe motorcycle endorsement on my drivers license.

G.A.R.Y. 03-13-2007 03:01 PM

Remember Forbes

hyperion 03-13-2007 09:00 PM

OH him! I believe he even had a radio in all his bikes, and I know he never left the garage without a full set of leathers.
The guy with the bike I liked was "Lawrence" (of Arabia)