Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Member Introduction (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/member-introduction-5/)
-   -   What Have I Done..... (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/member-introduction-5/what-have-i-done-16719/)

jlkwiththree 02-08-2016 09:17 AM

What Have I Done.....

1 Attachment(s)
Pulled from a garage in Traverse City we brought it home without a hitch. After a long bath it shined up OK. Still plenty to do. It's a 92 with the 5.0, d'Elegance package and 87K on the clock. It was a friend's father's pride and joy up to the day he passed. I made a promise to the family that as Custodian I will keep it in my family in hopes that it becomes an heirloom in mine as it did in theirs. Even my 16 year old son appreciates it. But it has its faults that while minor make quite a list. I guess I will just dive in head first.

Dan86 03-08-2016 10:20 AM

Wow that's a lovely looking car!
White looks great and suits it well.

I recently bought a cadillac that needed a fair amount of work doing on it. The list can get big when you get into the details but it is rewarding.

What kind of things need doing to it?

jlkwiththree 03-08-2016 01:45 PM

Mechanically it is pretty sound but will need a new tail pipe, as well as some steering work. I have not had a chance to diagnose the steering yet as I have other projects in my garage right now.

Cosmetics are where many of the hours on this car will go. I have about 12 hours so far in detailing the interior. I am pleased with the condition of surfaces under all the grunge, though. Unfortunately, the front seats are a little beyond full recovery from cleaning. I am looking to get some estimates on restoration or possibly replacement of leather and maybe foam. The carpeting will need replacement as well due to a large section of carpet fibers having been melted away from what may have been a chemical or Coke spill on the rear floor.

The vinyl top suffered damage from what looks like a fallen ladder that has put scratches and a hole in the top. I also have a good sized dent in the front bumper on the left side. Paint, on certain panels, was resprayed at one point, but done very poorly. That work is last on the list since it becomes noticeable inside 1 foot. The rear bumper fillers will be resprayed at that time as well. I hope that by later this Spring I will at least have it cleaned up (engine bay is next) and the exhaust leak fixed so I can drive it to local cruise-ins or just enjoy it on weekends.

Dan86 03-09-2016 02:07 AM

Sounds like you've got a solid plan laid out.
It sounds pretty similar to what I want to do with my eldo although mine needs a repaint due to peeling lacquer. No amount of polishing is going to make it look good.
I've just got mine on the road so I can get a feel for what needs doing next. I've got a pair of rear air struts to fit next which should be fun.
Hope yours comes together nicely and you can share some photos of your progress along the way.