Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Member Introduction (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/member-introduction-5/)
-   -   New Member but Frequent Visitor (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/member-introduction-5/new-member-but-frequent-visitor-16281/)

crazyforcarz 07-29-2015 11:38 AM

New Member but Frequent Visitor

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I love this forum. It's full of interesting information and helpful people. I have been visiting this forum for years but this is the first time I am posting something. I have a 1984 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham with a 4.1 in it. I have been working on the car and learned quite a bit through a series of gotcha's and frustractions but overcoming all hurdles with help from this forum. I love my Caddy and love working on it despite all the frustrations I run into.

I have done the following so far:

1) Replaced spark plugs, while dealing with a spark plug that broke in the block. Ah...the sound of a breaking spark plug and the sinking feeling that comes with it. I will never forget it.
2) Replaced the radiator while dealing with rusty transmission coolant connectors, impossible to find replacement line which resulted in having to fabricate one.
3) Replaced power steering pump while challenged with putting the pulleys back on.
4) Replaced all belts when replacing the water pump.
5) Replaced fule filter.
6) Installed a bypass switch to operate the the blower when needed. Climate control module only reponded occasionally and often not when it was freezing cold.
7) Oil changes.
8) Last but not least...I am working on replacing the water pump. It is more work than I expected but I am up for the challenge. It looks like I'll have to take off all the components surrounding it to remove the water pump. There is a little block that has bolts going through it to the engine and it holds the AC compressor, the alternator, a mystery unit under the alternator that I don't know what it is, and the water pump. The water pump is the last thing that comes off after taking the other parts off.

I have three questions for the members:

1) Has anyone replaced the water pump and am I on the right track assuming all these parts need to come off? The water pump is the last thing tucked behind this block that I am referring to.

2) What is that mystery little unit that is below the alternator and looks like a little alternator? How do I take it off? I have attached a picture of the engine. The unit I am referring to can be seen at the bottom left under the alternator.

3) Is there a reference guide for torque specs for the bolts for the water pump and all the other components around it that I have to remove?

Thank you for any help anyone can provide. I apologize if these questions have been addressed previously but I wasn't able to find anything.

Adnan