Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Member Introduction (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/member-introduction-5/)
-   -   Hello! (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/member-introduction-5/hello-4896/)

ad8n 01-07-2008 01:43 PM

Hello!

Hello, fellow Cadillac enthusiasts!

I've been a Cadillac fan ever since my parents bought a new 1978 Fleetwood Brougham. I still have that car, with fewer that 100,000 original miles. It is still the original Arizona Beige, with a tan leather interior and dark brown vinyl top.

I start it every month and is always road-registered. This year I hope to spend a bit of money to make it really shine: replacing the cracked steering wheel and dashtop, thoroughly cleaning the interior and removing the door dings in the body. Any suggestions are always welcome.

slowroll 01-07-2008 06:49 PM

RE: Hello!

welcome.

Stealth 01-07-2008 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: ad8n

Hello, fellow Cadillac enthusiasts!

I've been a Cadillac fan ever since my parents bought a new 1978 Fleetwood Brougham. I still have that car, with fewer that 100,000 original miles. It is still the original Arizona Beige, with a tan leather interior and dark brown vinyl top.

I start it every month and is always road-registered. This year I hope to spend a bit of money to make it really shine: replacing the cracked steering wheel and dashtop, thoroughly cleaning the interior and removing the door dings in the body. Any suggestions are always welcome.

you say you "start it every month" ?
does that mean it gets driven?

simply starting the engine on a car is not a healthy thing to do.

love to see a picture ..

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

ad8n 01-08-2008 12:29 AM

I drive it pretty regularly (it was my daily driver for about 6 - months last year), but I won't claim that I drive more than 1/4 mile every month!

stomper 01-08-2008 12:44 AM

driving it 1/4 mile once a month will do more harm that not driving it,
but the best is to drive it a good 5 miles for a through-out warm up,
including the transmission.

the water and acids get into the crankcase and exhaust system and
only a decent warm up of all systems can assure that they are
evaporated/cooked out.

driving too little or none will allow for rot of seals, rubber items, tires, etc.
as well as oxidization of connectors and exhaust system.

take a nice long ride once a month and the car will last forever.

G.A.R.Y. 01-08-2008 09:34 AM

For the battery alone (unless you have a battery tender), I suggest 30 minutes of drivng at highway speed for proper charge. Also note that the less you drive a car the more often you need to change the oil. Just like boats, garage queens tend to have more problems in the long run then if driven occassionally for more then a short distance. My 2 cents.

G.A.R.Y.

ad8n 01-08-2008 09:57 AM

You're right, of course. So no more excuses for not driving it! Thanks.

BTW: Anyone have any recommendations for interior trim part sellers? I'll ask this in the proper forum later,

Thanks,

Antoni

stomper 01-08-2008 10:27 AM

ORIGINAL: ad8n

You're right, of course. So no more excuses for not driving it! Thanks.

BTW: Anyone have any recommendations for interior trim part sellers? I'll ask this in the proper forum later,

Thanks,

Antoni

Look at it this way, you WILL save money by driving it - avoid the "you dont use it, you lose it" repairs.
even the tires WILL crack if you dont roll them on the streets.

big item to use? the A/C .. even if it snows, make sure the thing gets a good work, keeps the seals pliable and last and last - my 4x4 is still running the original AC compressor, going 22 years. I make sure it runs once every couple of months, rain or shine or snow.

then i dont run it at all unless i need cold air, always set on econo. keeps the clutches from being worked full time.

oh, i do that to my whole fleet.

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

ad8n 01-09-2008 06:32 PM

Just drove 20 miles and back! What a beautiful car. Started first time, a/c worked great. Even listened to Foghat on the original 8-track. I love this car!

rickyd 01-11-2008 09:06 PM

ad8n.... hey welcome to the Forum!! nice to have a new member. as you have heard those cars need to be drivin, so im sure you wont mind doing that! keep the Forum posted on the shine, and ask if you need a helping hand. good bunch here. good luck, and again welcome..... see ya 'round
rickyd