Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

Allante switch module repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 08:28 AM
Default Allante switch module repair

Hi everyone
Big shout out to Rikki who posted a pictorial step by step repair for Allante windows switch unit.
On my '91, passenger window was inoperative from driver side, OK from passenger side, so motor etc was fine.
Putting unit on the bench, found top was held in place by 4 jewellers size screws. Opening up saw evidence of water ingress and staining. Cleaned up everything with switch cleaner, including plugs and sockets, then left to dry for 15 minutes. As recommended, I removed the 4 rocker contacts and used a mild sandpaper to clean up. Unbelievable that the working driver side was worse.
Reassembled OK, just a note of caution to really check wiring location as I missed a large socket, which stalled window last 2 inches going down.
Otherwise, a very easy fix as replacement units from eBay are $300 plus $300 postage (why?) Plus 20% sales tax on all when it arrives in United Kingdom
So you can see why I had a go on repair.
Again, thanks, Rikki