General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

water leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 07:52 PM
Post water leak

Hi to All, I am new to this so not sure if I;m doing this right, but to introduce I live in N.Z. I have imported from Arizona a beautiful 93 Eldorado 4.6 N/S Sport coupe. I have been busy last 18 months and fully recon engine incl stud kit, also 4T80e full rebuild so finally on the road only to find when outside in rain the drivers side front and rear carpet soaked to max. Took of side rocker panel and pulled back carpet as far as possible and find lots of good ól Arizona dust made into sludge, so obviously being leaking for some time. Ran hose water all over side glass (1/4 panel & door) no leaks there, but when ran into wiper cavity and down windscreen it runs down inside the firewall far drivers corner. Water also exits just under the fender outside which I assume is the drain for this cavity.
Would removing the dr side fender show me anything panel wise ? I don't think this is a rust issue as the car seems rust free under and over, the importation compliance officer said it was the cleanest he had ever seen. Any hints or help would be much appreciated. I really enjoy reading the forums and threads, it is amazing to see many Cadillac enthusiasts out there that really care. Thanks, Ivan from down-under

Old 07-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Tech Certified Members

Maybe .... if there is a break in the body sealer. Since bore scopes have become so popular you might try to probe about prior to taking fender loose.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:07 PM
Smile

Hi there slowroll, thanks for the tip on the bore scope, I have seen this small camera on TV before but didn't think of it myself. I will contact local panel shops and engine shops to see if anyone can help.

Thanks for the time to reply.....Ivan

Old 08-29-2017, 12:54 AM

Hi Slowroll...........couldn't find a local shop with bore scope so went on ebay and imported one (These are cheap $12, and they fit right into your phone charger port.) Found the leak area Ok and it was as you said, a break in the body sealer. Removed all wiper linkage / transmission arms from car to make access easy, have sealed with waterproof sealant. Thanks again.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:15 PM
Default Oil in water

Sounds like manifold gasket leeking