General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Stray electrical connector

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Default Stray electrical connector

'94 Cadillac Seville STS

While poking around under the hood of my little brother's car I noticed a stray electrical connector. I found it right next to where the PCV should have been (I say should have been because that was missing, the vacuum line was blocked off and the hole in the valve cover was plugged, no clue why though). It was a small pig tail, maybe two or three wires, black with a blue clip I think. The wires appeared to go straight down a few inches and then over towards the driver side of the car. I wasn't paying much attention to it though because I was more baffled by the PCV being bypassed at the time. I plan to install a new PCV later tonight and I can take a pic of the connector if I need to, I was just curious if anybody new what it was for. Just a diagnostic terminal with no use? Or is it supposed to be plugged into something?

Old 03-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Certified Members

I have a '94 SLS...I can look under the hood when I get home and see if mine has that...it could just be a service connector, for testing purposes.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:28 PM

I figured out what it was, after realizing the computer was possibly kicking out a code telling me what it was. The SES light had been on since he bought it, and I decided to see if there were any issues that needed to be dealt with, and upon entering diagnostics I pulled about 2 dozen codes, half of which were from the transmission. The tranny was rebuilt right after my brother bought the car (we knew it needed to be done when he bought it, as a result he got the car for a song), but whoever did the work never cleared the codes. After clearing them and having him drive it for a week, the only 2 that came back were P041 and S061. The PCM code being a no-signal from the Cam Sensor to the ICM error which finally dawned on me could be caused if it was simply unplugged. Checked the book and did some digging around the back cylinder head and voila, problem solved. Plugged the connector back into the Cam Sensor and now the code has stopped coming back. Now the only remaining issue with the car is the sensor on the suspension that's apparently not working, and a leaky fitting on the power steering line that goes into the top of the pump, which I'm hoping is just a seal or o-ring that's gone bad. After that, he'll have a nearly mint condition '94 STS w/ 100k miles on it, that has cost him a grand total of about $2200. No, I'm not jealous, not at all, why would anyone suggest that? ;-)

Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 PM

i want to know much more information about this Stray electric connector.