Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/general-tech-7/)
-   -   Rear window (not Alfred Hitchcock) (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/general-tech-7/rear-window-not-alfred-hitchcock-4624/)

khanawalt 12-08-2007 10:58 AM

Rear window (not Alfred Hitchcock)

My wife's '99 STS rear window switches don't work. The driver's switches operate both rear windows fine, but the left rear door window switch does nothing, while the right rear will run the window up but not down.

Is this just a switch issue, or something else? I suppose it's evidence of the car having a colorful past. There are lots of little ****ling things that I've discovered since buying it--like the left side rear-view mirror had loose nuts holding it on, a couple of map-light buttons are broken, right seat controls areall broken offetc.

Seller showed me a clean Carfax, but that could just mean there were noshops with Carfax reportingthat worked on it. I didn't pay a lot for it, so I didn't expect perfection.

Is there a salvage yard near Colorado that specializes in Cadillac? I need a few map lights, rear seat fan switch knob, right power seat controls, the afore-mentioned window switches, all in the off-white color.

Thanks.

stomper 12-08-2007 07:32 PM

RE: Rear window (not Alfred Hitchcock)

ORIGINAL: khanawalt

My wife's '99 STS rear window switches don't work. The driver's switches operate both rear windows fine, but the left rear door window switch does nothing, while the right rear will run the window up but not down.

Is this just a switch issue, or something else? I suppose it's evidence of the car having a colorful past. There are lots of little ****ling things that I've discovered since buying it--like the left side rear-view mirror had loose nuts holding it on, a couple of map-light buttons are broken, right seat controls areall broken offetc.

Seller showed me a clean Carfax, but that could just mean there were noshops with Carfax reportingthat worked on it. I didn't pay a lot for it, so I didn't expect perfection.

Is there a salvage yard near Colorado that specializes in Cadillac? I need a few map lights, rear seat fan switch knob, right power seat controls, the afore-mentioned window switches, all in the off-white color.

Thanks.
sounds like the guy before was an unskilled weekend shadetree mechanic.

last time i had those kind of problems I aquired a new set of switched and that was that.

if you are so inclined, most switches can be sprayed by "e-contact cleaner" while you work the switches and
if that dont work, dipped in "tarn-X" ....

foxpaws 12-08-2007 08:33 PM

Not Alfred...

Arapahoe Auto Salvage on Quincy in Englewood specializes in Caddies - you need to go and just see all the cool stuff they have - including some great old hearses...

nickh 12-08-2007 09:11 PM

pull the switch and test the switch for continuity