General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Brand Recommendations - Cat and Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 11:52 PM
Default Need Brand Recommendations - Cat and Muffler

1984 Eldo coupe 4.1 V8 w/4 spd auto. At only 51,000 miles but 33 years, CAT looks like its rusting away outside. (CAT has an air tube connection) Muffler looks ok outside but inside don't know.

Overall, I prefer stock quiet caddy system but currently its started doing "deep throat" growl when under load in upper gears. Engine performs well and no codes coming up.

Considering replacing at least the CAT. What brand(s) have forum members had good results with and should be suitable for my preferences ? See some negative comments about Eastern in some forum threads.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:25 AM

No responses. Puff ............

Old 08-24-2017, 03:48 PM
Tech Certified Members

Many cats fall off or hollowed out on old cars. The thing with replacement cat converters is capacity particularly if you have emission testing. I don't have a favorite brand, but is would not want a universal, application specific if possible and it will need to have air pipe. Air pipe help to cool converter increasing service life. Rusting heat shields will not effect converter function. The old " GM Goodwrench" exhaust systems was to be made by Walker until the program ended in the 90's

Old 08-24-2017, 11:31 PM

slowroll .... Thanks. NY State does not test exhaust gases; just checks "safety" features.

To this point I thought that "air pipe" was to feed the CAT temp back to the engine modulation controls, and one couldn't remove the CAT for that reason. SO, if the air pipe is for cooling the CAT, there must be a pump sending air to the CAT to cool it ? Sounds like one could simplify life and get rid of the CAT and its air pump.