General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

4.6 Northstar motor interchange.. HELP!!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Default 4.6 Northstar motor interchange.. HELP!!

I have a 1994 Cadillac Eldorado with the 4.6 Northstar motor V.I.N. (Y), which of course pulled out head bolts. Disassembled the motor and inspected it, found all timing components worn out..These additional parts put repairing motor out of my price range, so I picked up a 1998 Deville hit in front, with a good lower mileage 4.6 Northstar motor V.I.N (Y)..
The consensus is that these motors are not interchangeable.. Obviously the fuel inj. systems are different, and The horsepower ratings are different with the older Eldo. motorat around 330h.p. compared to around 290ish h.p.for the newer "98" Deville motor,I think? not positive??
My question is this??
I have gone to every parts listing that I can find, and they show from the cylinder heads down all is the same for both motors. I have seen a posting in here that the newer crankshaft trigger wheel has more teeth on it.. All listing I have found show same crankshaft for both motors. The oneresource I need is Hollanders which I do not have access to.. I assume cam profiles will probably be different. I am planning to basically take newer motor down to short block and installing all sensors, intake components, injectors, etc..
Someone tell me I have a chance for this working!!!
I am stalled with ice storm which hit us here in Oklahoma and spending too much time spinning this is my head.. It would be better to get out there and find out if it will work..Fail or not. But I can't as weather has shut us down.. So I am looking for something optimistic on this swap.. I have inspectedsensor locations, number of sensors, etc.All is same.. I realize there might be some bracketry/motor mount issues..
HELP!!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 4.6 Northstar motor interchange.. HELP!!

Sounds like you did all your homework. Strip 98 engine to bare long block. Transfer your intake, sensors, brackets from old engine to new one. There are different rods and pistons in 98 engine. If you run high test like you are supposed to, there is a good chance you will be ok.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Default RE: 4.6 Northstar motor interchange.. HELP!!

Thank you Slowroll.. I am glad you could figure out what I was trying to say with the typos I had inmy message.
I was kind of crosseyed when I typed it because we are wornout here. Looks like a warzone with trees down due to ice storm, we all have been working from morning to night trying to clear this mess.
It was good to hear something optimistic on this swap. I know that 94 is an older vehicle, but the old car is really clean and I love it..
Any and all input is greatly appreciated.