General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Generator/Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Default Generator/Alternator?

Hey...new to the forum....Junior Member? I still would like to ask a question or two thousand as my restoration project begins...

I have a 1968 Coupe De Ville....472...Rebuilt from Atlanta, GA and installed by the previous owner here in Washington State. Just purchased a few weeks back and I am now trying to get it to be dependable to drive. Here goes my issues....Replaced the Battery, Alternator, Battery Cables and V-Belts (it left me stranded on the drive home and figured this would be the first things to look at/replace). In the 1968 Shop Manual, all they describe is the generator...obviously different than the alternator that came out/replaced with. Now there are wires that I don't use? wires not hooked up? and wires needing replaced? Just to get this thing to charge the battery, which wires go where? My alternator has a white plastic clip with a red wire and a black wire coming out...it also has a "stud" which I reattached the only wire connected when the replacement took place...still no charge? Any help?
rjl

Last edited by othello1968coupe; 07-23-2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 07-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Certified Members

GM calls alternators and generators - generators. Your car was built with probably a 63a alternator with an external regulator. A modern 80a+ with internal regulator is what you need. Need more details as to what you have now to advise you. brand and part number of the one you bought may help.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:16 AM

First off....slowroll...thanks for the reply...sorry for the delay getting back to answer the question....so here goes...thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

The alternator that I pulled off, and subsequently turned in as a core, was replaced by a DELCO P/N: 213-4011. Turns out it is only a 63A, 12V, Pass. Meaning? I think a 63 Amp, 12 Volt, passenger rating. Once again, the wires connected are the clip on the side (red - heavier gauge - to nothing, and a black - lighter gauge - to inside the loom). As I look at and continue to ask around on my end....could this be a regulator trying to run another regulator? Had the vehicle on a charger all weekend and fired up/ran.....assuming this is solely off the charge on the battery.

Second question....you recommended an 80 amp...reason? Do I need it for more electronics/systems? I can take back the 63, assuming they will credit it, and purchase an 80 amp? Any thoughts?

Old 08-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Tech Certified Members

Red wire not going to anything? that is the output wire of alternator. Typically it would attach to lug on horn relay or battery cable stud of starter. There should be 2 wires on positive battery cable, the larger one for starter the smaller one goes to a lug to power up other devises red wire should attach to it. To make it simple attach red wire to positive battery terminal and see if charging starts working. If charging system is working should read 13v or more.There are wiring kits to install late model alternators in earlier cars, if you chose to go that route.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:13 PM

Thanks again...I am now back in the country. Can give the project some time in a few days...first honey do's (mowing/unpacking/etc...) I will get to this just as quickly as I can keeping the family "balanced" with the shop time. Could you check back in a few? I will post again and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 PM

slowroll.... i took some time yesterday and the day prior to set up and "rough" wire the alternator to the battery. First wire ran the red from the alternator clip direct to the positive cables aux. lead with butt splices and a short section of 12 ga. wire. tested battery prior to start - 12.54 Volts, after start 12.51 Volts. The tell tale "gen" lite came on and increased it's brightness as the rpms increased. Figured I still didn't have it right...shut it down and ran a "temporary" jumper from the rear post (which i noticed was marked BAT) to the positive terminal.....now tested battery 14.45 Volts....and no tell tale lite! Next I will attach terminals on a heavier wire (10 ga) and reconnect....any concerns? Thanks for the direction/info....

this is awesome!!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 02:50 PM

New wire....10 gauge, like the book said...but attached with terminals directly to the battery. Brother was concerned that it didn't run thru a voltage regulator, but I stated that the alternator was internally regulated (so sayith the parts store). Should I be concerned? The Battery tests with the motor running 14.45 volts. Also one of your first replies stated an 80+ Amp unit....should I swap out for new?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Certified Members

If everything works ok ,it should be ok, but you will need to have a good battery. When demand is higher than output - battery makes up the difference....normal on old cars. Voltage regulator limits field strength which effects alternator output.