General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Supposed to have a spare & jack ? flat tires anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Default Supposed to have a spare & jack ? flat tires anyone ?

Is this 2008 CTS supposed to have a spare & a jack ? It does have the air compressor and a place for the spare and jack, just no spare & no jack ?

Old 03-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by stormychic
Is this 2008 CTS supposed to have a spare & a jack ? It does have the air compressor and a place for the spare and jack, just no spare & no jack ?

hhmmmmh .. only if you get a flat and dont have AAA.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:23 PM

YES. Your owners manual describes jack, usage, and storage. If you don't have an owners manual you can download one here.

Last edited by EricD; 03-31-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Certified Members

Spare and jack ...etc. optional equipment...? You have air pump, and should have fix-a-flat....standard equipent. You are saving .1-.3 mpg....just don't have a "blow out" where you don't belong....that includes ______egypt.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Tech Certified Members

Does the car have "Run Flat" tires? If so, then the spare and jack would be considered un-necessary.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:25 AM

Dont know about the run flat tires. It has Michelin Pilot tires 98H

Old 04-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Default flat tires

honestly, why do we need jacks and spare tires for normal driving?

in the beginning days of the automobile, cars carried two and even three spare tires, flats were common.

the mini-spare appeared in the 1980's as flat tires had become rare.
for the most part, spares take up space, are heavy, and cost money to make and maintain.

even on my 4x4, i dont carry the 70 lb spare in town - which incidentally costs another $150 .. but i do carry a plug kit and a small air pump. off the road, its a whole different story. long distance drives or desert driving, i prefer the mental comfort of the spare.

before someone jumps down my throat, let me state that i consider the plug kit purely an emergency and once a tire is fixed with a plug, i then would consider that tire a under 65 mph tire.

its been at least 20 years since i got my last normal driving flat, maybe more - i dont even remember .. again, off-road SUV its another story.

ohhh .. one last thing .. changing a spare can be quite dangerous in traffic for anyone, and the physical stress of changing a tire anywhere can be a danger to many, specially if wearing a suit, dress, high heels, or bad weather.

Last edited by Stealth; 04-01-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:14 PM

Well, I dont have to worry about the high heels, dresses and my hair getting messed up or my hands getting greasy. I'd rather have a spare & change it instead of being in the middle of BFE and stuck with no spare. Now I'm wondering why this car doesnt have the run-flat tires...I'm beginning to think I need mud grips or at least a 12 ply tire...lol. This is the second tire I have lost due to having to drive on rocky, dirt roads to get home.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:39 AM

I have heard first time about any vehicle of this type.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Tech Certified Members

I don't believe Michelin makes a "run-flat" tire, yet. Alot of the new cars don't come with spares as standard equipment, now...it is an option, as there are cars built with no place to even put a "mini" spare let alone a flat tire.

Quick Reply: Supposed to have a spare & jack ? flat tires anyone ?