Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/general-tech-7/)
-   -   Climate control problem (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/general-tech-7/climate-control-problem-10996/)

DavCad97 07-11-2010 08:09 PM

Climate control problem, Any ideas?

I have a 97 DeVille w/83,000 miles on it. When I start the engine the climate control usually comes to life adjusting the doors and bringing the blower motor up to speed. Lately the doors will adjust and blower comes on, and then it will shut down again. I drive the car a few blocks and it will power up again and stay on some times for my 35minute trip. Then again it may go off and come back on a few times. Intermittent is the way I would describe it. I have been using a/c lately. I can hear the compressor come on even when the fan blower and doors don't come on. On another note, the trunk pull down has worked intermittent also but it started long before the blower/door issue. A/c is cold when it does work. Codes: IPC - B1552; IRC-B1771 history; PCM- P063 history.

stomper 07-13-2010 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by DavCad97 (Post 38756)
I have a 97 DeVille w/83,000 miles on it. When I start the engine the climate control usually comes to life adjusting the doors and bringing the blower motor up to speed. Lately the doors will adjust and blower comes on, and then it will shut down again. I drive the car a few blocks and it will power up again and stay on some times for my 35minute trip. Then again it may go off and come back on a few times. Intermittent is the way I would describe it. I have been using a/c lately. I can hear the compressor come on even when the fan blower and doors don't come on. On another note, the trunk pull down has worked intermittent also but it started long before the blower/door issue. A/c is cold when it does work. Codes: IPC - B1552; IRC-B1771 history; PCM- P063 history.

Intermittent often points to a wire or connector issue .. read our e-ghost thread.

however, the climate controllers in these cars are known to fail, specially in damp climate.

i would start at the connector behind the climate controller .. move and wiggle the wires when its not doing what you want it to do and see what happens.

same for the pull down ...

rickyd 07-14-2010 07:04 AM

welcome DAVCAD97... car going to shop today??? let us know what they say. i think system needs charged. again welcome.... keep us posted
rickyd

DavCad97 07-14-2010 08:30 PM

Blower motor and module. Had my daughter run it in after talking to the mechanic on phone. He said part was so bad that he was surprised we hadn't smell something like burning plastic smell to tip us off. I live in the Jacksonville, FL metro area and Richards Automotive (on Leon Rd.) is a good reliable Caddy shop. They are very responsive too. Called him in a.m. and was in by11:30 out and back home by 3:30. Thanks for the replies to my original post.

Adams' Apple 07-16-2010 08:32 AM

Welcome to the Cad Forum, DavCad97!:D
Sorry I didn't see this before. I'm havin 'puter problems...the one at home took a doo-doo on me, so I haven't been on anywhere...
I was thinking blower motor when I started reading the post. These things are notorious for frying those things. MOST of the time, it is because the plug wires are running too close to the motor. The electronic pulses from the ignition system will just destroy the delicate electronics in the motor module. Make SURE after they replace the motor that the plug wires are far way from the motor....as far as they can safely be. It's a major pita to change the blower motors, so ya don't want to have to do it again because of the wires!
Glad they got it figured out, anyway. :D