Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/general-tech-7/)
-   -   Cadillac CTS with water in deck lid .. Regognise this?anyone? (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/general-tech-7/cadillac-cts-water-deck-lid-regognise-anyone-11808/)

patrick37 02-15-2011 08:19 AM

Cadillac CTS with water in deck lid .. Regognise this?anyone?

hi,
i have a cts 2003 and since i bought it 6 months ago there is one thing that bothers me.
The trunk lid pops open when you press the remote button for that but lifting
the lid is very very heavy.
Now i notice that the lid holds a lot of water in it
there has to be a leak somewhere in the lid of the trunk
anyone regognise this or has any idea where to look for this problem?

thank you so much!
patrick

stomper 02-15-2011 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by patrick37 (Post 40835)
hi,
i have a cts 2003 and since i bought it 6 months ago there is one thing that bothers me.
anyone recognize this or has any idea where to look for this problem?

thank you so much!
patrick

i dont know where and how the water got in but i be drilling a drain hole on the low inside corner and draining it asap ..

could there maybe be a cracked weld on the edge?
car with a previous accident?

johnnyjaws 02-15-2011 08:48 PM

could beeeeeee

Ken Mohr 03-07-2011 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by patrick37 (Post 40835)
hi,
anyone regognise this or has any idea where to look for this problem?

thank you so much!
patrick

Mine started too. Talked to a friend with a body shop. Have to remove the plastic on the lid and reseal. Parts are expensive careful not to break anything. I am letting him do it this week sometime let you know what the results are.

patrick37 03-09-2011 07:48 AM

Hi Ken,
thank you for your response
i just went to the dealer and as it turns out that the lekkage is cossed by
the backlight strip on top of the lid
the guy told me that he had many cts owners with the same problem

Ken Mohr 03-10-2011 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by patrick37 (Post 41141)
Hi Ken,
thank you for your response
i just went to the dealer and as it turns out that the lekkage is cossed by
the backlight strip on top of the lid
the guy told me that he had many cts owners with the same problem

Hi Patrick
Had mine in yesterday. It must not have been too tough to fix. The repairman (friend) wouldn't even let me buy lunch. It rained all night here so if it leaked I'll know shortly. Hope yours is just as simple.

Ken

Ken Mohr 03-10-2011 03:54 PM

Sat all day in the rain. Bone dry.

BobEvenson 03-09-2019 03:09 PM

I have an 09 CTS that had the same problem. I took the 3rd brake light out and put a healthy amount of silicone around all of the penetrations through the deck lid and reinstalled. This should take care of the water getting inside of the deck lid and the water collecting at the bottom of my trunk. Fingers crossed...

Rickw 08-03-2021 11:21 AM

2008 CTS trunk leaking

Originally Posted by BobEvenson (Post 55784)
I have an 09 CTS that had the same problem. I took the 3rd brake light out and put a healthy amount of silicone around all of the penetrations through the deck lid and reinstalled. This should take care of the water getting inside of the deck lid and the water collecting at the bottom of my trunk. Fingers crossed...

Bob, I suspect my 3rd brake light as well. Please detail how you accessed. The inner liner has those rubber bumpers going thru, how did you remove?? Thanks

BobEvenson 08-05-2021 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rickw (Post 57858)
Bob, I suspect my 3rd brake light as well. Please detail how you accessed. The inner liner has those rubber bumpers going thru, how did you remove?? Thanks

Rick, I YouTube'd videos for replacing my third brake light. The seal is old and no longer sealing as it should so I removed the seal and applied silicone sealer around every hole in my deck lid then reinstalled the light. Make sure you use clear silicone, you will be able to see the caulk between the light and the deck lid when you are done. Very simple to repair.
Bob