General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'86 Fleetwood vacuum pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Default '86 Fleetwood vacuum pump?

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and the world of Cadillac. I just bought an '86 Fleetwood FWD 4.1L from the original owner. It runs great and I got it for only $800.00!!!

My question for anyone who may know is this. I have never heard of a car with a gas engine having the need for a vacuum pump (only diesels). What does the vacuum pump do on this car? What does it control? And what would cause the fuse for it to keep blowing?

It doesn't seem to affect the power brakes. Does it work the cruise control? Does it have something to do with the emission control system? What other systems are affected by this fuse? (I already found out the hard way that the A/C fuse also has something to do with the charging system.)

Any info will be most helpful. Thanks.

Hampster66

Old 05-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Tech Certified Members

Vacuum pump is located in drivers side front fender. Added vacuum pumps are there provide vacuum for vacuum accessories when engine fails to produce enough vacuum. Your car uses it for cruise control and hvac in certain situations. If pump motor fails it would blow fuse.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:32 AM

Thanks a bunch, slowroll.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:09 AM

I have a 1986 Cadillac Deville with 84000 miles on it, my vacuum pump under the left front fender works, but it makes a sound while doing so, and I was told the pump works the cruise control and it works great. That is all I know, just wanted to say something., mine was a one owner and I have had the car about 4 months, love the car and after change of wires, plugs, radiator, valve cover gaskets and all fluids changed the car runs great with 24 miles to the gallon. Good luck, I love mine

Old 05-13-2010, 07:42 PM

Thanks DECOR97,
Mine's showing a little over 202,000 miles.
I've replaced both CV axles in my Fleetwood, the alternator and battery, and installed a Sony CD player.
I haven't done a tune-up yet but it runs great. I'm getting on average 21.4 MPG and I checked it on the highway on instant today and was getting between 35 and 40 MPG. I'm impressed!
My car sat up for a couple of years before I bought it (last state inspection was 2007). I got it; replaced a couple of light bulbs and it went right through inspection with flying colors.
Other than the fact it needs a new set of tires (dry rotted and out of balance) it rides like a dream.
Even with the blown fuse for the vacuum pump the cruise seems to work just fine. My A/C is out (no freon) so I don't know if both systems will work together without the pump working or not.
Heck, I haven't even had the chance to change the fluids yet.
My brother-in-law took one look at it and said the chrome trim on it is worth more than I paid for the whole car.
Once again, thanks for your input and info.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:47 PM

Hey slowroll,
I've got another one for you.
My steering binds a bit when attempting to turn. Turning the wheel just past the 12:00 in either direction it's really tight and will give way unexpectedly and suddenly.
Any idea what might be the cause of this? I'm told the P/S pump is new.