General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 deville overheating, I need help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Default 1996 deville overheating, I need help.

ok this is my first time posting on this website.

I have a 1996 cadillac deville that has been giving me nothing but problems. it wont stop overheating and everything i have done didnt help. this is the things that i have done.

Ok I just got the car and when I got home there was radiator fluid that was coming out of the overflow tube. so I did a pressure test and found out that there was a heater hose that wasnt tightened down all the way, it was a hose coming out of the block or somewhere there on the rear of the engine on the driver side. so I fixed that.

took it around and the same problem happened, so I thought maybe a air bubble so i purged the line.

Still had the same problem, so I took it in the shop to see if they can fix it. They replaced the t-stat, waterpump, flushed the whole system, did a chemical (dye) test to see if it was a head gasket. they done that 3 times, and still cant figure it out. I replaced the cap and got a new resivor tank prior to taking it in the shop. the fans do work on high and low. they kick on around 217 degrees. doesnt blow any smoke ot and diss color in my oil, but when i take the cap off it does bubble, more when its reved up. i guy at the shop said its doing that because the fluid is pluged somewhere and the water is getting so hot it just boils over.

the owner of the car before me replaced the raidator so he told me. it looks new so I havent messed with that.

the heater doesnt work and I was told if I have a bad heater core it will make my car over heat, I thought that sounded silly. maybe if it was cloged it would do that, so I flushed out the heater hoses and it wasnt cloged. but the heater still doesnt work the blower works just no heat. Could this be the problem of my mysterious deville?

somebody please help........ its giving me a headach
you can call me at 208-921-6676 Kris, or reply to my post.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Default Another valve you may be missing

I've never experienced an overheating problem due to the heater being clogged, however, there's always a first time. If the heater is not working and you have confirmed it is not plugged then something is absolutely blocking the circulation. I suspect there is another valve controlled by your heater controls that limits the hot water flowing through the heater coil .... find that valve and you'll at least fix the heater issue.

Hope this helps ......

Old 05-25-2012, 01:51 AM

I know how you feel, i have had the same car for 5 years heater has never worked...im always getting bad codes. i had an overheating problem as well, but a new water pump has fixed it for now...car gives me nothing but problems but its worth it

Old 05-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Tech Certified Members

there is an extensive over-heating thread on our FAQ .. have you read it?

Old 06-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Default 1996 Deville need help with overheating

Overheating problems with my Northstar engine - No more No More!!!
Don't fret there is a solution. Until I read your post I had forgotten that the heater was not working properly too in my caddy, I chalked it up to a blower problem, eventhough the AC ran cold and blew high. I've had the same overheating experiences for the last two years. My 98 Cad Deville only had 75k on it when I experienced the first overheating issues, flushed out system, replace rad cap 20lb, thermostat, water pump, etc. First problem I had with overheating issues, I replaced the 2 lower coolant pipes with rubber hoses and re-routed them from under to around front of engine after my mechanic discovered one of them had rusted out and was leaking.

Then 2 months later I began getting check coolant levels messages and overheating again. After taking to a garage they told me the head gastet was going bad. Eventhough, I did not experience white smoke, or water or coolant in the oil, no white milky subtstance on the dip stick. But anyway my research brought me to a product, called Thermogasket via www.rxauto.com, which was the only product out there with specifically with success with the aluminum block and bolts on the northstar engine, the company also engineered a part to eliminate the air bubble issues that is common with the Northstar engine which now I think may be related to the corrosion that occurrs throughout the metal coolant pipes in the Caddys preventing coolant to completely flow thru the coolant system. After Thermogasket usage I found it to be an amazing product, I was able to save the car and drive another 30k miles and then much to my dismay the over heating issues returned. The engineer with rxauto (Thermagasket company) has been really helpful as well and told me how to get the air pockets out that should not be their with their part installed.

This time I removed the purge line and found major corrosion, radiator hot on one side and cooler on other side, cleaned the line, purged the air bubbles. Then I purchased No-Rosion Coolant system flush (a serious bad - *** coolant flush) from www.No-Rosion.com , ( $7.95) Man the crap in the pipes and radiator, I could not believe that I could have even driven it period, awesome product. I followed with their No-Rosion Inhibitor ( $9.95) to prevent future corrosion. I was tempted to buy another radiator first or at least replace the core, but I thought for a $8 I'll give it a shot, hardest part was waiting for it to come in the mail 3 days.

There are no words to describe how I feel about having my baby back. To think I was ready to sell for a $1000 listing it for parts, noting head gasket shot. Connected to the diagnostic computer tool and reset, so the service engine light turmed off. Cruises at 195 degrees, purrs like a kitten.

Boys this is the way to go - no more overheating problems. I hope this helps everyone. I love my Caddy, but out of desperation I bought a 2000 Saturn LS1 to drive while the baby was down. My back is killing me getting in and out of that low to the ground s--t-box Saturn.

By the way, while detailing the Saturn so I can sell it, I forgot I left the Caddy idling for 20 minutes, when I realized it, I saw the temp was running at 203. Not bad considering just a short four weeks ago, after driving less than 2 miles I broke down and the temp rose to 252 degrees. I rolled into the mechanics shop and he diagnosed it with a blown head gasket.

By the way a big shout to you all on the forum, you helped this crazy chick repair all the problems too, my friends thought I was crazy and told me to just get rid of it - what do they know they never owned a Caddy before.
Now Im riding high and comfortable in my Caddy with a big *** grin on my face and no more back pain.

Just checked the heater- its not only working but it is blowing hot air real strong, thank God for the heated seats that is how I made it through last two winters.

I pray this will solve your problems for good, I can't stop smiling!!!