General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IN CAR head gasket replacement (tip)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:35 AM
Default IN CAR head gasket replacement (tip)

Hello,

My name is David Shea. I just replaced the head gasket on a '99 Seville SLS. I looked everywhere for information and finally found what I needed.

Unfortunately, I could not find any information on how to retract the valve timing chain tensioners without removing the front plate.

Well, needless to say, necessity is the mother of invention.

This is how:

1)Before you put the head on, use a flat head screw driver to push the tensioner ratchet tooth back while also pushing the plunger in.

2)Then let off with the screw driver, but shove the plunger farther back, this will open the area behind the ratchet tooth and you will see the spring.

3)Take 3' or so of copper wire, I believe the wire I used was 12ga. and shove one end of the wire in the gap you created. (you want the wire long enough so you can thread it through the head)

When you let go of the plunger, the ratchet should be locked. Now when you put the tensioner guide in be careful not to knock your wire out of the gap.

DO NOT remove the wire until you are 110% sure that your valve timing is right. Otherwise you have to take all of that **** out and re-do that whole process.

P.S. this can be done with the head installed but it's a PITA. I did this with the right head already installed and I had to use a second screw driver as a lever arm on the plunger. DON'T DO IT THIS WAY.

I had used some information from ya'll's site so I wanted to share what I figured out. I didn't know which forum would be best to post in, I wanted this to get a lot of exposure. Hope this helps!

Attached Thumbnails IN CAR head gasket replacement (tip)-tensioner_fix1.jpg   IN CAR head gasket replacement (tip)-tensioner_fix2.jpg   IN CAR head gasket replacement (tip)-tensioner_fix3.jpg