General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 DeVille turns over but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 02:49 PM
Default 98 DeVille turns over but won't start

Hi,
I bought a 1998 DeVille a couple weeks ago and drove it home. Part of the purchase deal was that the owner wanted his battery back. I pulled it out and gave it back to him then used a crappy old battery I had sitting around and tried to jump it but it wouldn't start. I went and bought a Optima red top and the engine will turn but just won't start. I checked all the fuses under the hood and there is atleast 7 gallons of gas in it! I have tried to start it multiple times but it just won't fire up. Thought it might be a security issue but the security light goes off a few seconds after the key is turned.
Maybe I'm missing something like a fusible link or fried relay!!
I used the code scanner and it doesn't read any codes.
Any ideas would be appreciated... Thank you

Old 12-20-2016, 06:36 PM
Tech Certified Members

Odd but no matter. Check fuel pressure. Check for spark with a spark tester at multiple wires. Use a noid light to check and see if injectors is getting signal. Since engine will crank VATS is probably ok. You could ask P.O. if there was anything installed on car. Some used car lots install a module that disables starting. Since you just got car get a factory service manual set 2 books. Deville and Eldorado in same book.