General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No power

Old 11-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Default No power

Ive been a mechanic for 20 years, this one has me baffled. This has nothing to do with a caddi. It is a 1990 lumina with a 3.1. What is happening is it has no power but idles fine, checked fuel pressure and volume all was fine, checked for a clogged cat thats ok, no codes what so ever. Now here is the kicker just for the hell of it i unhook the alternator and it has all the power in the world. Just wondering if any of you came across this problem. Thought maybe a bad ground but ran new ground and the same thing no power when accelerating. Thank you for any replies.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Default No power

I'd have to hazard a guess that it is something in the distributor.Timer core or amplifier, I have to agree that is a strange one. Maybe start a contest for the first CORRECT answer. Steak and beer on the house for the lucky guess.Good luck with the solution. Let us know for sure.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:56 AM

I think its more a fuel problem like its cutting the injectors out. It is like when you power break the car has no power. I will let you know the outcome at or about 7 pm et. Thank you cadsforfun.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:59 PM

Still same problem. Went thru all grounds cleaned and relocated some. Pretty sure it is fuel because i can shoot carb cleaner in the throttle body and the rpm picks up. will try again tomorrow. Also replaced alternator.... no change. This is one is for the record books.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:53 PM

I'd say it was the MAF but I'd expect to see a code. Maybe clean up the MAF. Last one that went out on me made the car bog out when you hit the accelerator but idle fine.
Second guess would be a clogged injector.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:19 PM

Has a bad computer. It is sending too much ref voltage to injectors. Customer does not want to fix the car going to junk yard. Never seen that before.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Default Final word........

Was interesting to hear the final word on the NO POWER issue. Nor had I ever heard of that before, Thanks for keeping us in the loop on the issue.

Search this Thread