Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/general-tech-7/)
-   -   2000 DTS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/general-tech-7/2000-dts-3678/)

royalet 09-10-2007 11:09 AM

2000 DTS

Service engine light came on, car seems to shake at idle and sputter when taking off, I am scheduled to get it scanned, I went to look for the plugs, cant find them, does anyone know where the spark plugs are located, and secon how do you know when your strter is going bad, i placed the key in the ignition and i get nothing, i wait like a few minutes, and the car starts right up, any suggestions

rickyd 09-10-2007 12:57 PM

RE: 2000 DTS

royalet.... are you talking (2) two situations here?.......#1 engine not running so good, and#2"key in ignition, and nothing"...... does that mean your having trouble starting the car?...... question, when the car is running, are you having electric issues?..ie: wacky fuel gauge, instrument panel flicker, pwr windows, locks inop at times, stuff like that?......... give the Forum a little better info, so the Forum is able to help, or direct you...............
rickyd

Katzmans Caddy 09-10-2007 01:28 PM

ORIGINAL: royalet

Service engine light came on, car seems to shake at idle and sputter when taking off, I am scheduled to get it scanned, I went to look for the plugs, cant find them, does anyone know where the spark plugs are located,
I'd say SES is indicating a misfire condition from what you describe. Possible remedies are spark plugs or coil packs. Also verify that air and fuel filters are good. Spark plugs, where are they?....They are in the centre of the head/valve cover of the engine and there are 8 of them, don't know how else to describe the location.

royalet 09-10-2007 01:42 PM

Thanks, well the 1ste issue is when i put the key in the ignition, i turn it, all i get is the radio, dash ect, but no crank , click or anything, and to answer the question about when the vehicle is running i dont have any problems with any of the electronics. 2nd the spark plugs, i guess when i remove the the top cover you have to halves, your saying the plugs are in the center of that

royalet 09-10-2007 01:43 PM

ok i think i got what your saying, you said if i remove the valve cover i will see the plugs and coil packs?

rickyd 09-10-2007 09:10 PM

royalet......SPARK PLUGS....... follow the plug wires.........and dig!!!!................... there you go
rickyd

Katzmans Caddy 09-10-2007 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: rickyd

royalet......SPARK PLUGS....... follow the plug wires.........and dig!!!!................... there you go
rickyd
In model year 2000, the DIS ignition system was changed to a coil-on-plug design, which eliminates the spark plug wires and waste spark. Each head has its own ignition module that fits in the middle of the valve cover. You do not need to take off the valve cover because there are holes in them for the plugs.

Katzmans Caddy 09-10-2007 10:52 PM

I put green dots beside the bolts to unfasten. Plugs are under there.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2406/AED4CAE61287421BA9D35242704B6155.jpg[/IMG]

royalet 09-11-2007 08:46 AM

Hey Thanks alot I appreciate that, I did manage to get the car started i believe it was a loose connection over near thge fuse box, BUT i had the car diagnosed at autozone, and the thcode was something like P0202, cant recall but it said #2 fuel injector open circuit, does anyone know the location of the #2 fuel injector, and is this hard to do

rickyd 09-11-2007 10:24 AM

katzmans, royalet.....sorry, my 99 has the plug wires....woops