General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

???? strange noise coming from dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Default ???? strange noise coming from dash

Let me startout by saying thank you for any help.I have only owned the car for about 6 months. Since the wheather has gotten a little bit chilly around here (below 40 ) i have noticed that when i go out and start my STS ( model year 1999) that a strange noise comes from the dash. The noise is coming from the lower left quadrant of the dash, quadrant starting under the steering wheel going up to wood trim and the all the way to the left. It seems to be coming from between the light beam controls and the steering wheel. I have also noticed it makes the noise even if the engine is not turned on. It never did this before the wheather got cold. Itgets to be really noisy if the defrost is turned on but after a while the noise dies down.

What the hell is this very annoying noise? if it is something that is not harmful i can live with it, but i can not simply ignore it until i know so. It has been my expierence that things, especially cars, make wierd noises for a reason. The noise sounds like a pretty small electrical or mechanical motor running.

Can anyone help?

Now that i think about the noise it kind of sounds like a really small air compressor running. Was speaking with a tech and i think he thought i was talking about the rear deck of the vehicle as he thought it was the CVRSS relay. As far as i understand the active suspension and motor for it are located in the rear of the vehicle, correct? The front of the vehicle is passive suspension correct?

Thanks,

TS

I also post this in the STS section I was wondering if a Mod could remove that post for me, no need for a double post. Thanks

Old 11-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: ???? strange noise coming from dash

There is a thing called an asperator, it is located behind a small vent near the steering column. Its for the climate control and has a small electric fan made to it.It is a very likely the cause.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:10 PM

I recently had surgery so sorry i havent been back in a couple days.

Slowroll,

I saw that vent/cover and did not know what it was but did not see it mentioned in owners manual or any other literature i could find, but that is where the noise is coming from. Thank you for the reply. Is there a place where i can find more info on it/ is it a self fixable or should i take it to a dealer instead of doing it myself? Is it something that will be fine until i can get into the dealership/ fix myself or will the car self explode??

Thanks ,

TS

Old 11-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Certified Members

If you read post car detonation device failed......It will be annoying but wont hurt anything. When it totally fails you will have auto temp control issues.When your healthy you may be able to do it your self depending you skills. By the way get well soon.