General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Fleetwood with severe trunk leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Default 94 Fleetwood with severe trunk leak

Greetings All,

I just stumbled across this forum and am in need of some tech help. I purchased a 1994 Fleetwood in the summer and it is a great car. I have, however, noticed a bad leak in the truck in the past few weeks. We had little rain this summer and now we are making up for it, it rains all the time and my trunk is collecting it! I have checked the seal and it looks fine, fits snug to the lid, but it seems to be coming in around the lower corners of the back glass. I have had the molding off and cleaned under it and saw no noticeable holes. I have read about getting in the trunk with a light and running water over it with a hose, the thing is if I find that it is in the seal around the glass, under the vinyl top(of course), how will I fix it? Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,
James

Old 12-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 94 Fleetwood with severe trunk leak

ORIGINAL: undertaker78

Greetings All,

I just stumbled across this forum and am in need of some tech help. I purchased a 1994 Fleetwood in the summer and it is a great car. I have, however, noticed a bad leak in the truck in the past few weeks. We had little rain this summer and now we are making up for it, it rains all the time and my trunk is collecting it! I have checked the seal and it looks fine, fits snug to the lid, but it seems to be coming in around the lower corners of the back glass. I have had the molding off and cleaned under it and saw no noticeable holes. I have read about getting in the trunk with a light and running water over it with a hose, the thing is if I find that it is in the seal around the glass, under the vinyl top(of course), how will I fix it? Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,
James
i suggest that the simple things are looked at 1st ...

in the mean time, pull the carpet and leave it out, to keep it from getting moldy, and make sure the drains in the trunk are opened. often, they have rubber plugs as normally a trunk is a dry area.

test trunk seal .. use a $1 bill, go around and test every inch of the seal .. anywhere where the $1 bill is not snug, you will have a leak.

trunk lock .. check the seal there.

I dont know your car so well, but many GM cars have a TUNNEL at top of deck area, between the glass and the lid. if yours has one, blow it clean .. I simply use a nozzle on a water hose to keep that clean.

should you also find the glass seal leaking, go to your local parts house and get a tube of sealer .. cant remember name, but its black and the name will be obvious .. maybe $5

if you find a rust hole anwhere, you will be looking at epoxy repairs ...

just curious .. how did you "stumble" to our site?

welcome ...

Old 12-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Default RE: 94 Fleetwood with severe trunk leak

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I found this site by putting the phrase "1994 Cadillac Trunk leak" (or something like that) in the search engineand found this forum. It sent me to a couple a entries about an STS with the same problem. I have already ordered the new trunk seal, about $40.00, and on a 15 year old car I figure that it wouldn't hurt to replace it. The sun is shinning here today so it is out in the funeral home parking lot with the deck lid upand the mat out.

Thanks Again,
James

Old 06-25-2010, 04:24 PM

My 94 Fleetwood has the same problem. I tracked the leak and its my windsheild that is leaking. I put some windshield urathane to dry and seal it up but it only took care of the partically. There is another leak toward the top of windshield. I cant acess it though. I was told that I had to replace my vinyl to in order to reseal my windshield.
I was quoted 2400 for the repairs.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Certified Members

Sometimes stationary glass can be re-sealed from the inside but it requires removing any / all interior trim in the way. Royal Pain but less than 2400.00 normally. Exception would be if body rotted thru under vinyl top(not leaking sealer)....which happens on old cars.