Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   FAQ (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/faq-46/)
-   -   GM Cadillac Dex-Cool corrosion (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/faq-46/gm-cadillac-dex-cool-corrosion-2204/)

Stealth 03-21-2007 07:03 PM

GM Cadillac Dex-Cool corrosion

writer's opinion:
i change my coolante every 24 months. more frequent changing of coolant does not
void any warranties and assures engine protection from oxidation.

==========================================

GM Owners Still Steaming Over Dex-Cool Corrosion,
Engine Damage Blamed on Coolant
By Joe Benton

GM car and truck owners continue to complain that the coolant corrodes and clogs radiators and radiator caps, erodes water pumps, rots radiator hoses, causes chronic overheating and engine damage while leading to leaky engine gaskets.

Dex-Cool is now used in almost 40 million vehicles sold by GM since 1996. On its website, GM claims Dex-Cool will last 5 years or 150,000 miles but a steady stream of consumers insist the product is defective and has damaged their vehicles.

GM is quick to clarify its confidence in the antifreeze by stating that the GM owner's manual recommended 150,000-mile service interval is not a warranty guarantee. On its website, the company now also warns owners to consult their vehicle "owner's manual for the type of coolant right for your vehicle" and never "mix one type of coolant with the other."

GM has alerted mechanics that vehicles operated ..............with low coolant levels "may be susceptible to the formation of a rust like material in the cooling system."

Lawsuits Pending

At last count there were 14 lawsuits filed in state and federal courts throughout the country by GM vehicle owners angered over their experience with Dex-Cool.

A Missouri judge may soon grant class-action status to suits in his state -- and that would mean that millions of GM customers could become involved in the lawsuit. The Missouri Supreme Court has declined to hear an appeal from GM challenging class-action certification.

The Missouri suit was filed in April 2003 alleging GM vehicles with Dex-Cool in their cooling systems developed a rusty sludge.

The plaintiffs claim that GM refused to repair their vehicles or pay for the repairs and the lawsuit seeks unspecified damages for
breach of warranty under the federal Magnuson-Moss Act and the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...es/dexcool.jpg

for the complete article, go here:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...m_dexcool.html

Katzmans Caddy 03-22-2007 12:27 AM

RE: Dex-Cool

Very interesting. Just got my Suburban back from the shop today after the intake lower gaskets were changed because coolant was pouring out. Coolant was changed in 2002 and was on my list at next oil change just 1000 km away. Mechanic said dexcool in rad and recovery tank was like mud. Fortunately my engine never got close to overheating because it was parked in my driveway when I saw the problem and my shop is only 4 blocks away. Very bothersome however since it was a 7 hour job.Can you say $1,000 to change a $100 gasket set.

On my Deville the water pump was changed under warranty in November and when I checked the coolant they had replaced it with the traditional green stuff. I called them up and they said Cadillac now recommends the green stuff on a two year change out.

Too late on the Sub, hopefully in time on the Caddy.

842heat 03-22-2007 12:35 AM

Thanks for the info on the Dex Cool. Now what does one do? I want to drain the stuff out and go to autozone and get some prestone. Do you think I would be better off doing that, or drain and refill with Dex Cool? Thanks

Stealth 03-22-2007 02:24 AM

i do not have answers other that whatever you got, drain and
put FRESH coolant. if you change to the green stuff, i think
some precautions need to be taken. are the two different
coolants compatible? I DONT KNOW.

i got ON this topic based on what i know was a GM failure for
the 4100 engines and the 5 year recommendation there also.
we now know that engine after engine has failed because the coolant
additive IS DEPLETED in about TWO YEARS and the head gaskets
fail allowing water into the oil chambers culminating in engine failures..

EVERY ALLANTE guy that has kept in touch with the shortcomings
of the car knows this - GM, to my knowledge has not acknowledged
and dont expect they ever will.
I do not bother checking coolant, i simply drain it every Dec and refill
with a fresh 50/50 mix using DISTILLED water. usually two bottles
of coolant plus two bottles of distilled water, do the job. CHEAP.

i suspect that the same applies to the Dex-Cool and if any of my cars
had Dex-Cool, it i be changing it every year.
very CHEAP INSURANCE is what i see.

how much for two gallons of coolant and two gall of distilled water?
how much for a engine tear down?

dahhhhhh ......

Stealth 03-22-2007 02:28 AM

this is the 1st i hear of this. did you see the actual GM instruction?
i would make sure. you got a lot of money riding on this.
i am not saying they are wrong, i just havent hear that before.

ORIGINAL: Katzmans Caddy

Very interesting. Just got my Suburban back from the shop today after the intake lower gaskets were changed because coolant was pouring out. Coolant was changed in 2002 and was on my list at next oil change just 1000 km away. Mechanic said dexcool in rad and recovery tank was like mud. Fortunately my engine never got close to overheating because it was parked in my driveway when I saw the problem and my shop is only 4 blocks away. Very bothersome however since it was a 7 hour job.Can you say $1,000 to change a $100 gasket set.

On my Deville the water pump was changed under warranty in November and when I checked the coolant they had replaced it with the traditional green stuff. I called them up and they said Cadillac now recommends the green stuff on a two year change out.

Too late on the Sub, hopefully in time on the Caddy.

Katzmans Caddy 03-22-2007 07:53 PM

This is green stuff: http://www.prestone.com/products/antifreezeCoolant.phpcompatible with any car.

I called the dealer, they did the job under warranty and now my coolant is green. I actaully feel better about it knowing what the orange DEX Cool reputaion is. I believe that the coolant has to be Silicate free regardless of colour for the Northstar et al. DEX Cool and the colour are GM trademarks as far as I know. To be sureI will ask my service advisor again when I am there, should beprior to Easter and I will post their answer.

Stealth 03-25-2007 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Katzmans Caddy

This is green stuff: http://www.prestone.com/products/antifreezeCoolant.phpcompatible with any car.

I called the dealer, they did the job under warranty and now my coolant is green. I actaully feel better about it knowing what the orange DEX Cool reputaion is. I believe that the coolant has to be Silicate free regardless of colour for the Northstar et al. DEX Cool and the colour are GM trademarks as far as I know. To be sureI will ask my service advisor again when I am there, should beprior to Easter and I will post their answer.
that link shows several coolants, including dex-cool.

Stealth 04-16-2007 12:12 PM

Originator Stealth

i have seen nothing that states as a matter of fact that DEXCOOL is a bad thing
in itself . it is not my intent to scare people.

what i have seen is that often, it does NOT last the 5 years and that it goes bad
quickly if you have a leak, run the engine with low coolant for long periods, or
engine overheats.
(the five year limit is for optimal conditions)

what i have seen is that mileage has nothing to do with coolant exhausting its
protection quality. it is contact with metal that uses up its protection and
it is time related.

what i have seen is that running low coolant levels or overheating uses up
its protection really fast.

what i gather from this is
1. change it (drain & refill with 50/50 mix) every 24 months,
2. change it IF you develop a leak where your engine runs low in coolant for a long period -
that would be after you fix the leak of course.
3. change it should the engine overheat
4. change it if you see cruddy coolant or sludge in reservoir

IMO, the 24 month limit applies to both, Dexcool or the green stuff ...