FAQ Frequenly Asked Technical Questions. This section is read only, and posts are made by the staff. If you have something to contribute contact any moderator.

Pulling Fuel Pump from 2004 Deville

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 12:21 PM
Question Pulling Fuel Pump from 2004 Deville

I have a 2004 Deville from which I have removed the access panel in the trunk and the lock ring holding the fuel pump in the tank. It should be a simple matter after disconnecting the fuel lines and electrical connections (two) from the fuel pump to just lift it out of the tank.

However, when I try lifting it out, it is as though the hole in the tank is too small and prevents it from coming out. When I say too small, we are talking about a tiny fraction of an inch. Has anyone had this problem before and how was it solved?

The tank material is plastic and I could use a file to enlarge the hole slightly but I do not think that should be necessary, nor do I really want to do that because of the filings that may then be left in the tank. To my knowledge this is the original fuel pump - it has never been replaced and it is working fine. The issue is the Fuel Tank Sending unit. That is what is not working. I can get the sending unit out without removing the fuel pump from the tank but what baffles me is why an original pump cannot be pulled out of the tank. It would make it so much easier to replace the sending unit.

Thanks,
Bob