Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   FAQ (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/faq-46/)
-   -   1985 Eldorado Engine stall help (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/faq-46/1985-eldorado-engine-stall-help-17688/)

1985cadillac 07-06-2017 08:06 AM

1985 Eldorado Engine stall help

I have a 1985 Eldorado that the engine stalls when I stop. This usually happens only after driving 10-20 miles or more at highway speed 55-70mph.
Example I drive on interstate 20 miles and merge off and come to stop just before a complete stop (5-10mph) the engine starts to idle higher and then stalls once I have stopped. It will usually start right up and go but most of the time jerks and hesitates and feels like it is trying to take off in high gear or a higher gear. it does not seem to be a engine problem as it runs as smooth as silk when idling or when cruising at any speed. The car is in mint condition otherwise. All original with 44,000 miles. Direction with this issue will be most appreciated. Keith

slowroll 07-06-2017 10:49 AM

Codes? It's possible TCC is sticking on. It would feel like coming to stop without pushing clutch pedal when driving a manual. The TCC solenoid tends to be the cause.

1985cadillac 07-06-2017 11:16 AM

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean TCC as in torque control converter solenoid? and what is involved in fixing this and the average cost for parts and labor?

slowroll 07-06-2017 11:31 AM

Torque Converter Clutch solenoid, A guess would be around 350. If you have or get Factory Service Manual. (ebay) There will be information to use the on board diagnostics built into the car to verify: if TCC is the cause without guessing with money.

1985cadillac 07-06-2017 08:33 PM

1985 Eldorado TCC Selenoid

I found how to read the codes on my digital climate control screen. I got a code 39 witch appears correct the problem is TCC Solenoid. I also learned I can unplug wire going to the solenoid, drive the car and if it does not stall it will confirm it is in fact the solenoid. Do you feel this would be a good idea? Also does the trans have to be pulled or is there a plate that can be removed to change the solenoid? Thanks

slowroll 07-07-2017 01:47 PM

There is more to the OBD that reading codes. Manual will describe how to use status lights, read data, and control some components. Cadillac shares very little with the Toro and Riv. The transmission should not have to be removed to replace solenoid. Transmission is a THM 325-4L.

1985cadillac 07-09-2017 11:53 AM

Good morning sir.

Thank you for the info on my TCC solenoid. I now have a new question. I also have a 2003 Cadillac CTS. My daughter used a defective aux device that caused a spark according to her when trying to remove a piece of metal out of the socket with a small screw driver. after a while of driving the battery drained dead completely and the car stalled. also the digital panel displayed check or repair charging system. Is it possible it caused a fuse to blow? I removed the battery and put a full slow charge on it. That is as far as I have gone as of now. Thanks

slowroll 07-12-2017 11:53 AM

You should have started a new thread in either Gen Tech or CTS section. Putting it in the wrong place may not get a response. It should have blown fuse, but not effected charging system. I would check MAXI fuses and have charging system tested.

1985cadillac 07-12-2017 04:24 PM

Thank you sir. For pointing out I need to start a new thread as well as advice on checking for blown fuse. Kind regards