Northstar Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:03 AM
Default Northstar Engine

I've read some great things about the Northstar engine used in - among others - the '96+ Deville. I've also read the GM/Cadillac bulletin stating that they can't be rebuilt. Does this means that 40+ years from now we won't see these Cadillacs on the road with original engines in them? Any assistance from you engine experts is appreciated.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Northstar Engine

ORIGINAL: athelitextreme

I've read some great things about the Northstar engine used in - among others - the '96+ Deville. I've also read the GM/Cadillac bulletin stating that they can't be rebuilt. Does this means that 40+ years from now we won't see these Cadillacs on the road with original engines in them? Any assistance from you engine experts is appreciated.
i never heard of that.
i think that just means that Cadillac doesnt want to bother, and you should buy an ew one.

besides, the N* advances its technology each year so GM believes it would be to your
benefit as well as theirs.

additionally, we all have our great bro's of the NorthEast and their great salting machines that
eat body shells faster than the N* wears out. The supply of donor engines is huge and will only
get bigger!

Old 08-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

I guess it depends on what you consider rebuilt.
Everything is serviceable through GM except for oversize pistons.

[/align][ol]1.Measure the cylinder bore diameter at 41mm (1.61in) below the cylinder block deck surface.
2.Compare your results with the engine mechanical specifications. If the cylinder diameter exceeds the specifications, the cylinder block must be replaced. There are no oversized pistons available for service
[/ol]
I have yet to see one wear out.

Most customers would prefer a reman from GM as the warranty is excellent and you know it's done right.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 PM

ORIGINAL: stomper

i never heard of that.
i think that just means that Cadillac doesnt want to bother, and you should buy an ew one.

besides, the N* advances its technology each year so GM believes it would be to your
benefit as well as theirs.
The bulletin that I read (I think somewhere in this forum) explains the mechanical specifics as to why it's not possible for it to be rebuilt. I'm no gearhead, so I really didn't understand it. Being an amateur collector enthusiast, I began to wonder what'll happen to these mid 1990's to early 2000's Caddy's 40+ years from now.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:13 AM

I have another question regarding the Northstar: Is it true that it needs a quart of oil about every 1,000-1,500 miles?

Old 08-07-2007, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

The majority of engines built today are all aluminum and will be in the same class as the N* when it comes rebuild time. New pistons, rings, bearings and an oil pump will keep that 4.6 on the road for more miles than most could drive it in a lifetime.
If you haven't noticed engine rebuilding is a trade that is quickly fading away. Modern engines are outlasting the useful life of the rest of the car.

That being said, there are so many northstars out there it would be hard to imagine a serious collector not stashing one or two away if they felt like it could be an issue 40 yrs from now.

As for oil consumption, the majority do not require any top off between 3k mile services.
GM spec allows up to 1 qt consumption every 2k miles. There is a TSB that some years fall into with sticky rings causing higher than allowable levels of oil "burning".

I recommend a 10w30 weight for engines approaching the 100k mile mark.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:50 PM

ORIGINAL: stomper

ORIGINAL: athelitextreme

additionally, we all have our great bro's of the NorthEast and their great salting machines that
eat body shells faster than the N* wears out. The supply of donor engines is huge and will only
get bigger!.

Hey! Remind me to wash the undercarraige every once in a while