Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine Specific (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/engine-specific-48/)
-   -   2000 catera with a V6 - Oil cooler removed,bypassed lines, give me a comment (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/engine-specific-48/2000-catera-v6-oil-cooler-removed-bypassed-lines-give-me-comment-11915/)

edgrmndz 03-14-2011 12:28 AM

2000 catera with a V6 - Oil cooler removed,bypassed lines, give me a comment

5 Attachment(s)
I removed the oil cooler that goes under the intake manifold, since the cost of that thing is too expensive, I sawed off the oil lines and bypass
it at the oil filter area where they originate I figure the oil is already pretty
hot so a few more degrees won't harm but I am no expert in fact my brother says I am an idiot, what you think?, I was thinking why cadillac put the oil cooler inside the engine in a compartment full of water that gets as hot as 220 degrees?

Cadsforfun 03-14-2011 02:38 AM

Just don't go driving up any mountain passes.

92_Daddylac 03-14-2011 06:26 AM

Please dont!!!!!

if you have the 4.6 Northstar engine i would not bypass anything on this engine. the oil cooler on this engine is a vital part of the system. with out it the oil will break down faster and degrade and you wont get the protection you need. the oil will basicly boil and bake onto engine components and later cause ENGINE failure.this engine was designed for performance and thus the oil cooler helps more than you think. i would deffinitly get an oil cooler installed. otherwise that expensive oil cooler wont look so expensive when you end up having to replace the toasted engine with a used one. considering these engines cost more to rebuild than installing a used engine. Trust me on this one Cadillac had this engine developed to perform and has tons of R&D on this engine considering Lotus was involved in helping design this master piece. That for one should raise flags that every component on this engine has a vital part in helping this engine perform. That being said the oil cooler is able to dissapate heat from the oil which also HELPS keep engine temps down along with the cooling system. i would hate to see a Cadillac go to waste because of someone thought they knew more than the engineers who designed and built this engine.

stomper 03-14-2011 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by edgrmndz (Post 41208)

I removed the oil cooler that goes under the intake manifold, since the cost of that thing is too expensive, I sawed off the oil lines and bypass it at the oil filter area where they originate I figure the oil is already pretty hot so a few more degrees won't harm but I am no expert in fact my brother says I am an idiot, what you think?, I was thinking why Cadillac put the oil cooler inside the engine in a compartment full of water that gets as hot as 220 degrees?

OUCH !!!!!!!!

what car model are we talking about?

I agree with 92_Daddylac https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/...er_offline.gif Tech Certified Member above in full .. in my opinion, aluminum engines are like airplanes, they hum along as long as everything is running to design but crash and burn when something goes wrong.

the oil cooler is not just a cooler but a oil warmer to help get your oil warmed quickly for proper lubrication, so you would expect more wear specially if car operates in cold weather.

I hope you are running at least a 20-50W synthetic at this point, which has a better chance of surviving the high temps - does your car have an oil temp gauge?
also, if you have a oil life monitor i would say that its function no longer applies.

some of us are usually looking for ways to add additional cooling to the oil, not disable it.

edgrmndz 03-14-2011 12:24 PM

I removed the oil cooler that goes under the intake manifold, since the cost of that thing is too expensive, I sawed off the oil lines and bypass
it at the oil filter area where they originate I figure the oil is already pretty
hot so a few more degrees won't harm but I am no expert in fact my brother says I am an idiot, what you think?, I was thinking why cadillac put the oil cooler inside the engine in a compartment full of water that gets as hot as 220 degrees?

The vehicle is a 2002 cadillac catera with the v6 3.0 I don't know how to
tell if it is a northstar engine

edgrmndz 03-14-2011 12:30 PM

the last picture shows the bypass a high temp special hose, 1 foot long that curves to the other side of the filter and is tightened the same way,
the car is a 2000 catera with a V6 3.0 150K miles.

gmtechs 03-14-2011 04:30 PM

well if u cut off the old one
i would put an external one on
the 1000 bill is not a pleasant feeling lines are hard to remove pain in the butt to do
threads strip ,
but anyways the coolant takes away the heat from the oil and helps cool it down
the catera engine has zero tolerance so u need to make sure u dont over heat this vehicle u really dont want to get into heads on this
i am surprised u got in there to take apart some of those bolts are not easy to get at

but stomper and 92_daddylac are right on i would listen to them that engine is not cheap

92_Daddylac 03-14-2011 05:20 PM

First off since you said your engine is the L81 3.0 that engine is known for timing belt issues. So the oil cooler would be on my list of things that will cause problems in the future. This engine is pretty reliable but if your timimg belt tensioner is in need of replacement i would have it fixed asap. These engines are interference engines, which means if the chain breaks the pistons are going to smash into the valves and the engine is no longer usable. Since this may not be an issue now i would suggest putting the oil cooler back on.

edgrmndz 03-14-2011 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by edgrmndz (Post 41216)
the last picture shows the bypass a high temp special hose, 1 foot long that curves to the other side of the filter and is tightened the same way,
the car is a 2000 catera with a V6 3.0 150K miles.

For now since you guys are freaking me out, I am going to replace the oil with a 20-50w synthetic as mentioned, and I am going to keep a good watch on the temp gage since I just do normal driving ( don't go to Utah or Colorado ). if I see anything abnormal I am going to add an outside cooler from autozone, I spent about 3 hours tops removing the engine component, ie plenum, intake injectors and rail and it is kind easy but
it took me from 9 am to 6 pm to remove and install the 2 bolts by the oil filter and finish the bypass job its really a pain and don't feel like doing it again, it sounds better to remove the whole engine than those 2 bolts.

Stealth 03-15-2011 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by edgrmndz (Post 41223)
For now since you guys are freaking me out, I am going to replace the oil with a 20-50w synthetic as mentioned, and I am going to keep a good watch on the temp gage since I just do normal driving ( don't go to Utah or Colorado ). if I see anything abnormal I am going to add an outside cooler from autozone, I spent about 3 hours tops removing the engine component, ie plenum, intake injectors and rail and it is kind easy but
it took me from 9 am to 6 pm to remove and install the 2 bolts by the oil filter and finish the bypass job its really a pain and don't feel like doing it again, it sounds better to remove the whole engine than those 2 bolts.

that is not bad compared tot he time it takes to do a head gasket job on warped heads from overheating.

anyone has the book time to do that?