Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac V Series (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-v-series-28/)
-   -   Transmission making crazy sounds (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-v-series-28/transmission-making-crazy-sounds-7984/)

donutlover 01-24-2009 10:15 AM

Transmission making crazy sounds

Hello, Im new to this Forum. I recently purchased a 2006 V with 29k miles. I love this car but have an issue with I believe the transmission. When the car is in neutral and the clutch is out the noise I hear is like the engine is coming apart, like a rocker arm was loose, or something was spinning around inside the power train. But, when I push in the clutch the noise and vibration goes away. I took the car to the dealer and they told me that they wouldn't know what the problem was until they took the trans out and inspected it. Thats fine, but they told me if its not a warrant item then the bill would be around two thousand dollars. Anyone else have the same symptoms or can give me a better idea of what is going on with my baby?

slowroll 01-24-2009 08:44 PM

RE: Transmission making crazy sounds

Have dealer put in writing was is or is not warranty, who will determine whether it's warranty or not, and contact Cadillac customer assistance. If you have D.A. videos of you racing, doing donuts, or other acts of abuse/stupidity out on there or on the web, this can include if it is well known of you actions in the local area without video. YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE DANCE.

Shmeezy 02-04-2009 10:30 PM

Maybe a flywheel

Do you notice any noises once it is in gear and the car is moving? I had a clutch go out in a 95 mustang and it made a bunch of noise when the clutch was out in nutrual. The clutch howerver did not slip at all. It is possible that the flywheel or the clutch have cracked or the bearings where never greased properly.

Stealth 02-05-2009 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by donutlover (Post 28644)
Hello, Im new to this Forum. I recently purchased a 2006 V with 29k miles. I love this car but have an issue with I believe the transmission. When the car is in neutral and the clutch is out the noise I hear is like the engine is coming apart, like a rocker arm was loose, or something was spinning around inside the power train. But, when I push in the clutch the noise and vibration goes away. I took the car to the dealer and they told me that they wouldn't know what the problem was until they took the trans out and inspected it. Thats fine, but they told me if its not a warrant item then the bill would be around two thousand dollars. Anyone else have the same symptoms or can give me a better idea of what is going on with my baby?

i would consider parking it until that is resolved. by YOUR description, your clutch may well have a broken shock spring or a chunk of clutch pad got broken off . if THAT has happen, car will need a new clutch but if you keep driving it, I would expect other components to follow damage if the spring lets pieces out into the moving parts of the clutch assy.

if the bearing was out, I w'expect the noise when pushing the clutch.
if the flywheel was cracked, I w'expect all sorts of unusual behavior upon the start of the clutch engaging.

the dealer will then most likely agree to cover the clutch but may well refuse to cover other components.

normally, shock springs or clutch pads rarely break, except on actions of drag racing, popping clutches, burning rubber, donuts (DONUT LOVER?), and all that sort of fun, expensive fun - in which case, expect dealer to raise an eyebrow. how was the car running when you took delivery? simply going 200 mph, wont do that. it is mostly on how you get to speed that hurts.

Do what slowroll said, regarding warranty, ASAP ...

donutlover, does your screen name give a clue to what may have happened?

donutlover 02-05-2009 06:53 PM

Hello again, thanks for the input and as a reply to the screen name, (donutlover) it does not make suggestive statements on the way a drive but instead on my career. As soon as the weather breaks its going to the dealer to have them look at it. This time I'm taking it to another dealer just over the bridge in NJ.

I also spoke to some local mechanics the other day who told me the noise is common in the manual gearbox when the clutch is out and in neutral position. its because the all the gears are spinning inside and they clank together. They said its a on going customer complaint with corvette owners with stick shift vettes. So the more people I talk to, the more im just confused. is it normal or is it a problem. I just hate to have to spend one to two thousand dollars for nothing.

slowroll 02-05-2009 07:22 PM

A certain amount of gear rattle in neutral is normal, but it should not sound like things are coming apart. First dealer should have been able to tell you if it was normal or not. Of course if you were insistent there was a problem, while they were telling you it was normal; it's possible they would R&R trans, check it and if no problem found, and let you pay for it.