Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac STS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-sts-17/)
-   -   White Diamond paint Flaws (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-sts-17/white-diamond-paint-flaws-1446/)

ctmbwm 11-17-2006 03:34 AM

White Diamond paint Flaws

I'm looking at buying a 2006 White Diamond color STS but having second thoughts because of all 4 doors showing a blotchyness (base coat looks to have shiney and then dull places covering the 4 doors under the clear coat) of the white diamond base coat beneath the clear coat when looking at it at a side glance, with the light just right. The car is a GM exec with 6k miles and is being sold at cadillac dealership. The hood, trunk and all other surfaces look normal no matter how you look at it. Dealer says it never has had paint work to their knowledge.

Question: Does this white diamond paint look like I described normally on large flat surfaces such as the doors? or has the car been painted or did it get painted this way at the factory? Any ideas or help would be appreciated..I'm just not in the know on this paint.

Chuck

Dr. Design 11-20-2006 08:43 PM

RE: White Diamond paint Flaws

Hello Chuck,
We know exactly what you are referring to. Unfortunately that is the way it is. We had an STS here at the shop with the white diamond paint and we ended up returning it because of the paint. It looks uneven and blotchy. If you want to go through the headache you can purchase the car and just have the dealership re-shoot the panels..... They will make it right, you just have to be willing to wait.
Good luck!

Dr. Design
www.d3cadillac.com

ORIGINAL: ctmbwm

I'm looking at buying a 2006 White Diamond color STS but having second thoughts because of all 4 doors showing a blotchyness (base coat looks to have shiney and then dull places covering the 4 doors under the clear coat) of the white diamond base coat beneath the clear coat when looking at it at a side glance, with the light just right. The car is a GM exec with 6k miles and is being sold at cadillac dealership. The hood, trunk and all other surfaces look normal no matter how you look at it. Dealer says it never has had paint work to their knowledge.

Question: Does this white diamond paint look like I described normally on large flat surfaces such as the doors? or has the car been painted or did it get painted this way at the factory? Any ideas or help would be appreciated..I'm just not in the know on this paint.

Chuck

ctmbwm 11-20-2006 10:04 PM

:) Thanks, That was what I thought...We decided to buy a Lexus instead because of the paint on the STS.

Chuck

:)

rchern 12-12-2006 11:00 PM

Just a point of interest on the white diamond color. I had a 2005 CTS with the white diamond paint and in addition to the blotchiness described the rear bumper was a different shade of white and the car came from the factory that way. Some cars had that flaw and some cars didn't so I would suggest not buying that color unless you could see the car first.

njjoey 01-08-2007 12:36 AM

I have a 2005 STS with White Diamond paintand have noticedblotches on the sides of the car. It can be seen when you look at the car at an angle. My question ishas anyone complained to GM about the flaws and has anyone had it fixed? I had my car in for service and asked the service advisor if he had any complains regarding white diamond paint, he replied no.

Thanks for your help.
Joe