Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac STS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-sts-17/)
-   -   timing chain/belt (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-sts-17/timing-chain-belt-10496/)

rickyd 03-02-2010 06:19 AM

timing chain/belt

anyone ever have issues with timing chain/belt on '99 sts seville? lets talk.

Issues like, going bad

stomper 03-03-2010 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by rickyd (Post 36814)
anyone ever have issues with timing chain/belt on '99 sts seville? lets talk.

Issues like, going bad

regardless of type of car, that is bad news ..
timing off?
engine dead?

rickyd 03-03-2010 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by stomper (Post 36824)
regardless of type of car, that is bad news ..
timing off?
engine dead?

No, car runs and sounds great. I hear it on the engine-rev come down sometimes. that is odd to me, sometimes. ???????
How the freak does this happen????? good, regular oil changes with additive, every two yr coolant. Always maintained, always.
I guess im trying to figure how much time i have, when and what needs to be done, and how much $$$$.
too big a job for me.......
thanks for reply stomp
rick

stomper 03-03-2010 09:56 AM

hmmmm .. mileage ?

rickyd 03-03-2010 11:22 AM

[quote=stomper;36836]hmmmm .. mileage ?

114 K YEA SEEMS ODD, DOESNT IT. IT SURE SOUNDS LIKE TIMING CHAIN TO ME.... OR LOWER BEARING??? NOT SURE. GUESS I BETTER TAKE A GOOD LOOK OR GET'R TO VINNY... (THE SHOP)

stomper 03-03-2010 11:36 AM

[quote=rickyd;36837]

Originally Posted by stomper (Post 36836)
hmmmm .. mileage ?

114 K YEA SEEMS ODD, DOESNT IT. IT SURE SOUNDS LIKE TIMING CHAIN TO ME.... OR LOWER BEARING??? NOT SURE. GUESS I BETTER TAKE A GOOD LOOK OR GET'R TO VINNY... (THE SHOP)

i say so .. best to know what is up with it.

but ...

although most engines go way beyond that on timing chains, a great GM Drive Train engineer once told me 'after 100,000 miles of service, the timing chain owes you nothing'

my 4x4 threw the chain and chewed up the gears at 123,000 miles and it had warned me for the past 10,000 miles with erratic timing & idling (happens when chain is stretched) ..

if its bearing wear, there are things one can do to minimize noise and impact ...

rickyd 03-05-2010 06:54 PM

feelin pretty good today in finding out what i thought was a timing chain/belt problem, turned out to be a catalytic converter going bad...... sigh,sigh... thanks to my friend stomper, and a side note from slowroll...... both of you got me thinking.

oh.......... anybody got a cat for sale?? lol................. meow-meow

rickyd

stomper 03-05-2010 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by rickyd (Post 36869)
feelin pretty good today in finding out what i thought was a timing chain/belt problem, turned out to be a catalytic converter going bad...... sigh,sigh... thanks to my friend stomper, and a side note from slowroll...... both of you got me thinking.

oh.......... anybody got a cat for sale?? lol................. meow-meow

rickyd

not me .. my pussy cat likes to stay under the blankets and purr all night.
:D

rickyd 03-05-2010 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by stomper (Post 36871)
not me .. my pussy cat likes to stay under the blankets and purr all night.
:D

watch out for those clawsssss :eek: