Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac STS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-sts-17/)
-   -   Throttle Body (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-sts-17/throttle-body-1877/)

peace707 02-15-2007 01:43 PM

Throttle Body

This maybe a no-brainer but still I have to ask..............when it comes to getting the throttle body cleaned, does it really make a difference when choosing to go to the Cadi dealer or just a normal service shop to get it done...........

What do yall recommend

Katzmans Caddy 03-02-2007 07:25 PM

RE: Throttle Body

You can do it yourself. There are many products available atthe auto supply chains to do this. Be prepared to clear any error codes that appear during the cleaning process.

kherov 04-12-2007 05:20 PM

Of course if you'd rather have someone do it for you and not possibly mess something up and waste 5 hours of your life trying to figure out how to do it....

The thing to remember here is that when you take it to a Cadillac dealership you are going to geta guaranteed "good" job of doing whatever you ask them to do. Of course the thing with that is that it's going to cost you. If you don't have a trusted mechanic that you go to all the time, you might have to take a day out of your schedule and go to several mechanic offices. Choose places that look good, and get price quotes from them.

Another thing you could do is ask Cadillac what exactly they do in this kind of procedure and when you go to a regular mechanic, ask them if they do the same. It'll take some time, but might save you some money in the long run. Of course if they come out to be about the same price, you might as well just go to the dealership, which I typically try to avoid.

Take care!

belagatyo 04-13-2007 06:01 AM

ORIGINAL: kherov
The thing to remember here is that when you take it to a Cadillac dealership you are going to get a guaranteed "good" job of doing whatever you ask them to do.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on that one, kherov, and I speak from experience. They can be just as incompetent as a newly hired grease monkey at Bubba's Lube & Oil. [:@]

Stealth 04-13-2007 11:30 AM

the Allanté cew swears by "Sea Foam" t do the job ...

Chief Auto has it or about $5 ...

http://www.seafoamsales.com/images/updates_whitecap.gif

Originator Stealth

sea foam & sea foam DEEP CREEP

DEEP CREEP works with instant action and is oxygen sensor safe. DEEP CREEP is sea foam in an aerosol can.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/images/updates_whitecap.gifhttp://www.seafoamsales.com/images/Deep-Creep-small.jpg

DEEP CREEP Air Intake Cleaner

1. Run engine to normal operating temperature.
2. Shut engine off and disconnect air intake boot.
3. Spray DEEP CREEP into throat with throttle plate open. Saturate and soak. Clean with a soft toothbrush or cloth if necessary.
4. Spray into throat with straw attached to finalize cleaning.
5. Reconnect air intake boot and drive.
6. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated as fumes may be extreme for a short time.
7. Safe for teflon coatings, lubricates bushings.

DEEP CREEP Carbon Cleaner
# Gives smoother idle
# Cleans intake valves and pistons
# Cures hesitations and pings
# Restores power and pickup

With engine warm, keep on high idle and spray through carburetor, or throttle body throat. If engine is port injected, use only vacuum lines that feed all cylinders. When engine is loaded up, turn off ignition. Restart engines after 5 minutes. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated as fumes will be extreme for a short time. Ideal for small engines. Use a Schraeder Valve hose attachment if needed for outboard motors. For further cleaning, use sea foam MOTOR TREATMENT in tank.

DEEP CREEP Engine Fogging

For storage, the engine should be thoroughly saturated internally with DEEP CREEP. Spray through carburetor, throttle body or vacuum line and into the spark plug holes. Use Schraeder Valve hose attachment if needed for outboards.

kherov 04-13-2007 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: belagatyo

ORIGINAL: kherov
The thing to remember here is that when you take it to a Cadillac dealership you are going to geta guaranteed "good" job of doing whatever you ask them to do.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on that one, kherov, and I speak from experience. They can be just as incompetent as a newly hired grease monkey at Bubba's Lube & Oil. [:@]
I concede, I've only been to one a few times and each time I got it back better than when I turned it in to them. But I agree with you. In truth anybody can be smart or dumb when it comes down to it. I appreciate your response though. Anybody that acknowledges me is A OK!

hagrid 04-19-2007 05:24 AM

if you know how and you think you can clean the gm throttle body spacers yourself, they you may do it. There are lots of cleaners available in the market. Now if you're not sure how to do it, i suggest that have someone do the job for you. just be sure that the job is well done, so as to avoid regets in the end.

Stealth 04-19-2007 03:34 PM

it sounds like doing this youself is not one of the options.
if the throttle body is really caked up, it would be a long, dirty,
and tedious job.
been there, done that.

i always have and always will choose the local non-dealer mechanic
that i have a two decade relationship with, to work on cars out-of-warranty,
when i couldnt or i wouldnt do the job.

if you have a relationship with one such mechanic , you will probably get a
more than satistfactory job and i bet he stands behind every thing he does.
you get to talk to the guy that does the work, before and after.
that guy also wants your repeat business so he can stay in business.

i am NOT recommending shops (usually gas station shops) that hire H.S.
kids at $7 / hr to do the job of an $80 / hr guy and they have a new crew
every month. you do get what you pay for !

i have NOT used Pep-Boys, but many people have gotten decent service from
them, they do guarantee service, and they charge much less than the GM dealer.
again, i am NOT recommending them since i have not had work done by them.

now and then, i also find a good hands-on mechanics moonlighting, usually a dealer
guy or a parts house guy. however, they dont offer the kind of guarantees a
"Corporation retail shop" might offer.

do let us know about your experience ...

ok .. that was long winded ! ! !

lol

ORIGINAL: peace707

This maybe a no-brainer but still I have to ask..............when it comes to getting the throttle body cleaned, does it really make a difference when choosing to go to the Cadi dealer or just a normal service shop to get it done...........

What do yall recommend

kherov 04-20-2007 12:36 AM

'Nuff Said

jonrodman 08-30-2007 08:16 PM

Hello,
Last weekthe service manager talked me into having myThrottle Body cleaned. My car does not run any better or worse than before. It cost $600 essentially for nothing. Iam just gladthe old STSstill ran when I got it back. That is always a plus. At least they did not intentionallybreak anything. I have driven it for a week since the visit to the dealer and it is still running.

The mechanic must have been an amateur because when he reinstalled the engine cover he tried to cram the shift cable under the engine cover. He did manage to getthe cableunder there and the cover bolted down, but I would think that an experienced Cadillac mechanic would know that the transmission shift cable goes over theengine coverand that the engine coverdoes not have to be forced into place. I actually overheard the service manager asking for "The new guy". Just my luck, I was lucky enough to get The new guy.

One think I don't like about the service bay arrangement is that there is not any way to talk with the mechanic. Customers can only speak through a service manager and cannot have a conversation with the mechanics actually doing the work. Also, you will get a different mechanic every time. Where I lived before there was a guy who owned his own shop and he did excellent work. He remembered my cars andthey always ran perfectly whenthey left his shop.

So anyways,I won't be visiting theCadillacservice bay again.

Jon
96STS