Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac STS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-sts-17/)
-   -   Replace Engine? 2005 STS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-sts-17/replace-engine-2005-sts-13815/)

GoFlyers 02-13-2013 06:42 AM

Replace Engine? 2005 STS

Is this logical?
For the past year I have been fighting with a crankshaft error, P0315 variation not learned. The 4.6 LH2 Northstar learns it and will keep it for a day maybe a month but then the same code comes back.
In the year the computer has been replaced twice, the MAS has been replaced twice, the throttle body has been replaced, the crankshaft sensor has been replace, electrical connections have been replaced to the MAS and the crankshaft sensor. Two other sections on wires have been spliced and replaced.
The same error code keeps coming back. The downside of this code is randomly but often the engine starts but goes immediately into limp mode. This symptom has progressively gotten more frequent and seems directly related to cold weather. If I place a jet heater directed under the engine I can get it to start and not be in limp mode, still have the error code. Otherwise the crankshaft position has to be relearned.

So, being thousands of dollars into this I am at the point of purchasing a used engine and putting it in. I figure there will be some problems with a used engine but if they are different problems (anything other the crankshaft position not learned) I can deal with that. I haven't been able to drive my car further then 10 miles from home and I have to make sure the temp is over 35 degrees to even attempt that. I am really disappointed and willing to try anything.

Thoughts?

GoFlyers 02-13-2013 08:09 AM

Wow... just realized post in this forum don't appear to get responses.
Hate when that happens.
lol

Cadillac Customer Service 02-13-2013 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by GoFlyers (Post 46281)
Is this logical?
For the past year I have been fighting with a crankshaft error, P0315 variation not learned. The 4.6 LH2 Northstar learns it and will keep it for a day maybe a month but then the same code comes back.
In the year the computer has been replaced twice, the MAS has been replaced twice, the throttle body has been replaced, the crankshaft sensor has been replace, electrical connections have been replaced to the MAS and the crankshaft sensor. Two other sections on wires have been spliced and replaced.
The same error code keeps coming back. The downside of this code is randomly but often the engine starts but goes immediately into limp mode. This symptom has progressively gotten more frequent and seems directly related to cold weather. If I place a jet heater directed under the engine I can get it to start and not be in limp mode, still have the error code. Otherwise the crankshaft position has to be relearned.

So, being thousands of dollars into this I am at the point of purchasing a used engine and putting it in. I figure there will be some problems with a used engine but if they are different problems (anything other the crankshaft position not learned) I can deal with that. I haven't been able to drive my car further then 10 miles from home and I have to make sure the temp is over 35 degrees to even attempt that. I am really disappointed and willing to try anything.

Thoughts?

Hi GoFlyers,
While I cannot offer any diagnostic information on your vehicle, I can help you get in contact with your local Cadillac dealer to take a look at these issues for you. If you would like me to do some more research on your behalf, please send me a private message with your contact info, VIN, mileage and name of dealer.

Thank you,
Sara
Chevrolet Customer Service

GoFlyers 02-13-2013 11:29 AM

Good afternoon Sara,

Thank you but as a newbie I don't believe I have a way to PM you any info (that or I just don't know the site well enough to find it).

Cadillac Customer Service 02-14-2013 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by GoFlyers (Post 46285)
Good afternoon Sara,

Thank you but as a newbie I don't believe I have a way to PM you any info (that or I just don't know the site well enough to find it).

Hi GoFlyers,
You can always send an E-mail to SocialMedia@GM.com. We are more than happy to assist you!

Thank you,
Sara
Cadillac Customer Service

LanellePalmer 02-21-2013 12:39 AM

Good afternoon Sara

jono6406 02-26-2013 07:09 PM

That's why I got rid of my 2005 STS4 1SG. It was the biggest piece of $hit on the road.I purchased it only one year old and also purchased the extended warranty but that ran out at 81k miles and at 81.5 k I sold that $hit to never buy another Cadillac again. ( one of the worst cars i ever owned)

PomenYali 02-28-2013 12:19 AM

I purchased it only one year old.

GoFlyers 02-28-2013 02:08 PM

Current update on the car…
Going against my better judgment, I returned it to a dealership one more time to see if the problem could be fixed. One week later I get the call that they found a crossed wire and it was sending a false signal back to the computer.
I show up this morning to pick it up, pay my bill and the porter goes and gets the car. I walk out to my car to see it shaking something awful. Look inside and see the Traction Control light on, the check engine light on, and the Reduced Power message flashing across my dash

Cadillac Customer Service 03-01-2013 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by GoFlyers (Post 46371)
Current update on the car…
Going against my better judgment, I returned it to a dealership one more time to see if the problem could be fixed. One week later I get the call that they found a crossed wire and it was sending a false signal back to the computer.
I show up this morning to pick it up, pay my bill and the porter goes and gets the car. I walk out to my car to see it shaking something awful. Look inside and see the Traction Control light on, the check engine light on, and the Reduced Power message flashing across my dash

Hi Michael,
Glad they were able to get this issue diagnosed & fixed for you! Please keep me up to date via the forum or E-mail regarding your case. Keep Service Request #71-1156600802 handy if you continue to have vehicle concerns.

Thank you,
Sara
Chevrolet Customer Service