Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac STS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-sts-17/)
-   -   No Luck (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-sts-17/no-luck-924/)

Torrence 07-29-2006 01:05 PM

No Luck

Hey, I still have not figured out my power drain. But I found some interesting things out that I didn't know, one is that the phone and Onstar was added @ the dealership after it was manufactured. I removed my stereo head unit (Bose 8 speaker sys.), and I see where the dealership spliced into my ignition to install the accessories. Also that explains the switch on my steering wheel(phone control) being black instead of being grey like the other. The car came with a grey temp/fan switch in a box in the glove box,which is probably the original that the dealership took off to install the phone option. I am wondering if I could disconnect the B/S that they got hooked up to my ignition, and remove the phone/onstar system from my car with out creating an issue with the present computer settings?? Is there any modules capable of programming the computer on this model, or is there any way to hook my laptop to it?? would appreciate any feedback.

FLCaddytech 07-29-2006 02:35 PM

RE: No Luck

I can't think of any issues removing the OnStar would create.
I know a couple high dollar aftermarket scanners can reprogam engine ecu's but i think thats it.
I have a interface module for ecu reprograms with my laptop, but it is car/year/engine specific (98 pontiac gtp 3.8 S/C) It was $500 and came with access to a cracked gm cal file. I have found no such system for the deville/seville platform. TechII is the tool to have for GM diag and reprograming. It still does you no good without the calabration files.
Why do you think you need a reprogram? Which computer would you reprogram?
If your laptop could do it, where would you get the cal files from?
GM is the only source i know of.

I have a hard time following your problem as you seem to go into a a new thread every time you check/do something new.
If you keep your related posts in one thread it makes it much eaiser to see where you're at and what you have already done.

Early OnStar systems were one of the most common battery drain problems.

Torrence 07-30-2006 08:47 PM

Sorry so scatterbrained I have alot going on, and probably skipped around alot trying to figure this battery drain out. Sorry for jumping from issue to issue. I appreciate ALL the help youv'e gave me, your very knowledgeable. I was just wondering about the effects of the onstar on the computer. I plan to keep my STS for awhile, and was wondering if I would be able to read the parameters of the computer, or if it would benefit me any to try to obtain the ness. equip. to connect to my computer. Sounds like it wouldn't be. One question I have is, what did you mean by the older onstar sys. was a drain issue?? Can it be corrected?? did they make the ness. adjustments on newer systems?? Can a newer onstar system be installed in my 99 STS.

Torrence 07-31-2006 10:12 PM

Hey Fla.CaddyTech. Got it figured out! When I removed my stereo and exposed my ignition connections I must have wiggled my problem. Since I reinstalled my stereo my draining issue is gone, only thing I can think of is that when I was checking the crappy tape job that someone did while installing my Onstar add-on, I must have made a better connection than what was there, cause my battery is fine now. Does this make any sense to you?? Or was it a coincidense?? Please respond, Thank You.

FLCaddytech 07-31-2006 10:49 PM

It could be it. Computers "sleep" and "wake up" for different reasons, a low voltage or ground spike could wake one up that should be in battery save mode.

Glad to hear you got it. Those kind of problems can drive you nuts sometimes.