Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac STS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-sts-17/)
-   -   New to forum (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-sts-17/new-forum-2146/)

h4x0rz 03-17-2007 05:11 PM

New to forum

Hello, I'm new!

just here to ask a few questions. My dad baught a 99 cadillac STS. The engine does not turn over on the first try a lot of the times when the engine is Warm, and when it does, when the engine is idling, I can feel the engine shake (RPMS are approx 1000 RPM)

Now, other than the spark plugs and wires (I will replace these shortly), could there be any other issues that I may want to look at?

Stealth 03-17-2007 05:34 PM

RE: New to forum

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

some starters get hot from the heat off the manifolds and i seen fixes ranging from
replacing the starter to installing a heat shield. if yours turns over once it cools,
the issue is probably among these.

the engine idle .. plugs, wires, idle controller, carbon build up in intake throttle,
vacuum leaks, water in gas, timing, injectors, O2 sensors, etc ...

ORIGINAL: h4x0rz

Hello, I'm new!

just here to ask a few questions. My dad baught a 99 cadillac STS. The engine does not turn over on the first try a lot of the times when the engine is Warm, and when it does, when the engine is idling, I can feel the engine shake (RPMS are approx 1000 RPM)

Now, other than the spark plugs and wires (I will replace these shortly), could there be any other issues that I may want to look at?

h4x0rz 03-17-2007 06:22 PM

is there a screw that I can adjust the idle speed? I will also take a look at the throttle body, IAC valve for carbon buildup / garbage.

My own vehicle, the idle speed is controlled by the ECU and cannot be changed / altered w/o reporgramming.

Thanks for your help .

Stealth 03-17-2007 08:09 PM

no screw. i believe that the idle is regulated by the air control valve
too detailed for me w/o a manual.

may look like this one:

[IMG]local://upfiles/2893/AEDA86E09DC64D65BEF37674241F0F4C.jpg[/IMG]

Katzmans Caddy 03-19-2007 12:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Stealth

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

some starters get hot from the heat off the manifolds and i seen fixes ranging from
replacing the starter to installing a heat shield. if yours turns over once it cools,
the issue is probably among these.

the engine idle .. plugs, wires, idle controller, carbon build up in intake throttle,
vacuum leaks, water in gas, timing, injectors, O2 sensors, etc ...

ORIGINAL: h4x0rz

Hello, I'm new!

Stealth you forgot my favourite....the coils.

Stealth 03-19-2007 01:19 AM

sure did .. best add coils to the list.

Katz ... i was wondering where you been.
you go fishing with Gary?

Katzmans Caddy 03-19-2007 02:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Stealth

Katz ... i was wondering where you been.
you go fishing with Gary?

The only fishing here is Ice Fishing, we got hit with another storm spent 3 hours cleaning up outside after that, windshield wipers in the GMC broke right in the middle of the sleet storm, tore the cowl apart to get them right, 2 more hours, then just add in busy life with wife and kids........