Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Ok next prob. for TECH HELP..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Default Ok next prob. for TECH HELP..

...Ok just like to say thanks for the tech help with my fan motor problem...BUT the next problem i have ismore complex...

The car failed inspection for emissions, and some other transmission code that popped up, so when i took the car in to get serviced, they tried to tell me that the trans needed to be replaced due ot a faulty something or other making the code appear?? mean while there is absolutley nothing wrong with the trans what so ever??

As for the emissions, Ive posted here b4 about the tiny HG leak on one of the rear cylinders, that the dealer also wanted to replace my entire motor @ 4K!!...this was 2yrs ago mind you and the car still runs like a champ.

footnote: so far if they had it their way i would have replaced the entire motor and tranny due to a code???!!! but yet the car still runs fine?

Problem is, I need to get an inspection sticker??? how can i pass inspection if the car keep spitting out codes when iam g oing thru inspection?? there has got to be a way to erase the codes or fool the damn inspection so i can get the 4yr sticker...

Old 01-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Ok next prob. for TECH HELP..

Not enough info to help you. What are the emmision readings? what are the max allowed reading in your state? what trans code do you have?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 AM

Ok just pulled the paper work, ok so on 2/28/08 the car failed inspection for saftey & emmisions/OBD, codes presented were (2) p0300 & p0503. (one iknowis cylinder mis fire) which is i believe from the leakingHG on that cylinder.Ok so on7/25.08, took it to service and paid $100 for them to tell me bacically the same thing:

"trace problem to its source codes po300 random misfire po503 VSS signal intermittent loss of signal, P1599 CC pwr mgmt mode. Customer advised that code po300 p503 vss speed sensor planet carrier reluctor ring"

this is why there telling me i need a new trans!! unreal...

anyway a couple weeks after THAT diagnosis, I took it to another guy and HE ONLY pulled the transmission code with no mis fire....all I know is the car runs fine, and trans runs fine, i just need it to pass inspection!

hope this helps!

Old 01-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Certified Members

Dont know what year and type car you own because its not in the body of the post nor in your signature profile. We are here to help but need better imput from you. HC doesnt "leak" it either is high because of a inefficient cyl because of a faultly spark plug wire or coil pack. If it failed, it cannot be running correctly at times. Rarely are codes false.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:02 PM

98 sts...yeah its a small drip, det. by an exhaust test done last yr which produced something crazy like .009 % of antifreeze in the exhaust emission. The mech det. that the HG had a tiny drip into that rear cyl. causing it to foul out that plug. So yeah it prob dosent run exactly perfect b/c its running on one less cylinder, and it does stall out once in a while, but Iam not putting a new motor in b/c of 1 fouled plug....can u address the trans code? and offer ANY advice on how to just get it to pass inspection, ?

Old 01-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Certified Members

Replace that plug with a plug one range hotter than whats called for. Get a second opinion regarding the vehicle speed sensor replacement. Reluctor ring must be inside the trans, not part of the speed sensor? a tranny shop can explain that better. I've had good luck lowering HC readings during an emmission test by adding 1 gal. of denatured achohol to a half tank of fuel. It makes its own oxygen thereby lowering HC's. but replace that plug first. And again, put year and type of car in your signature profile like mine please!

Old 01-06-2009, 02:03 PM

Thanks, so do you know which plug that is? Yes the relutor ring is part of the trans, but to replace (as explained by the tech) you might as well just rebuild the trans?? which makes no sense to me concidering the trans dosent even have a hicupp!!

Ok just so iam clear on this...so replace ONLY the plug in the fowled cylinder, and add 1gal DNA to half tank of fuel right before going thru inspection correct?

Old 01-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

somewhere in this site, there is a highly detailed FAQ thread on EMISSIONS ..

I suggest you read it .. it points out things to do to help the car pass.
Denature Alcohol is but one of many items there ...
I got one car that will only pass emissions when the ambient is 80F+ .. so guess what I do?
of course, I do a few other things on that thread.

as I stated before, e-ghosts .. vs.. connectors .. vs codes.
if the code is intermittent, it is most likely a connector issue ..
start pulling connectors, grease them with dielectric and test for codes.

Do as carnut advices ...
add a bottle of LUCAS Transmission fluid ..
follow the Emissions thread ...
wait for a hot day or a day where you know the car is not trowing codes.
test....